When there's a chill in the air, a bowl of rich and hearty Cheeseburger Soup is sure to fill your hungry spot. Top it with Texas toast croutons, cheddar cheese and chives, and it becomes a feast in a bowl any day of the week.
Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
This cheesy soup is one of those recipes that mimics the flavors we love in a good ole American cheeseburger sans the bun. Other bun-less options we enjoy are my Barbecue Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms for our game day snacks and Bacon Cheeseburger Pie with a potato crust. Keep in mind, this is a soup, so we did have to toss in a few vegetables in hopes the kiddos wouldn't notice. I have teenagers now, but still there's that same eat your vegetables dialogue we've had since birth. Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list, as most of the ingredients are pantry staples and something you likely have on hand. I love topping it with Texas sized croutons and a pickle for fun. It's tummy filling and won't break the bank certain to become a family favorite.
How to Make Homemade Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
There are many recipes for cheeseburger soup and often they utilize a processed cheese for the sauce. I'm not knocking that technique, it's handy in a pinch, but I prefer to make my own cheese sauce for this soup. It requires common pantry staples to make, plus it's not difficult to do. I recommend you make it while the potatoes cook which adds no additional cooking time. This is how you make a homemade cheese sauce:
- You may like to taste and adapt the salt in this recipe depending on the brand of steak seasoning that you use.
- When adding the flour to the melted butter in the saucepan, keep the burner on medium heat. If it's too high it may scorch.
- Keep the heat on medium while you gradually whisk in the milk. This will help prevent clumping. Scrape down the sides for any flour that may be clinging around the edges of the pot.
- Once all of the milk has been added, increase the temperature bringing to boiling whisking constantly. When it begins to bubble, immediately lower to a simmer and let it bubble gently for 5 minutes to cook the flour taste out of the sauce.
- Leave the saucepan on the stove, but turn off the heat. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring until it's completely melted. Once combined, keep the sauce warm until the potatoes are finished cooking. The cheese sauce will be creamy and thick.
- Once the sauce has been added to the soup, mix well and allow it to simmer uncovered for 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Once prepared, pour the creamy soup into a crock pot or your favorite slow cooker to keep warm and it's ready to eat when you are.
- Store leftover Cheeseburger Soup chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat.
Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- This is a cheeseburger soup so there's no need to get too fancy with seasonings. That being said, a splash of green at the end of cooking always adds visual appeal. I recommend fresh chives, but you could substitute with flat leaf parsley or even basil, if you prefer.
- Can I use ground turkey? Yes, you could also use ground chicken.
- Can I add cooked bacon to cheeseburger soup? You absolutely can turn this into bacon cheeseburger soup.
- What kind of potatoes work best? Russet potatoes are used in this recipe.
- Don't just stop there, the cheeseburger fans at your table may also enjoy this Cheeseburger Meatloaf from Taste of Home.
More Soup Recipes to Make
- Fully Loaded Smashed Potato Soup will hit the proverbial spot.
- My recipe for Lentil Soup is a filling meal that won't break the bank.
- Cheddar Cauliflower Soup with Bacon is rich and delicious.
- Homestyle Hamburger Soup is another all time favorite.
- Good for the soul Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is ready in no time flat.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cubed russet potatoes about ½inch cubes
- 1 32 oz beef broth may use chicken broth, if preferred
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Cheese sauce:
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus additional for garnishing
- ½ cup cubed dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives plus additional for garnishing
- croutons for serving
- Heat a few drizzles of olive oil In a 6 quart pot or dutch oven. Brown the ground beef with the onion and carrots until no longer pink. Add garlic cooking for 1 minute longer. Drain well.
- To the pot add potatoes, broth, steak seasoning ,Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Cover and cook over medium-high for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Add flour mixing until butter is absorbed. Add mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in milk whisking until smooth. Increase heat, stirring constantly just until milk begins to thicken, then immediately lower the heat. Allow to bubble gently for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add cheese, mixing until melted. Keep warm.
- Check potatoes for doneness. Mix in cheese sauce, dill pickles and chives. Stir until fully combined Cook uncovered over medium for 5 minutes to allow the soup to reduce and flavors combine.
- Serve topped with additional cheese, chives and croutons, if desired.
- Once you add the cheese sauce, it's important to mix well and allow the soup to simmer uncovered to reduce and combine.
- The seasonings and amounts may need adjustments depending on the brand of Steak seasoning you choose to use. This recipe was made with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
This was a hit. I used beef broth, and added less milk than recipe called for. Next time, I’ll omit the carrots. I also added a chopped tomato & made my own croutons. We loved it!
Delicious! My husband is lactose intolerant, so I love that the recipe didn’t call for cream and I could use his milk. Pickles add an amazing flavor and balance.
I'm so happy you could adapt this to your needs, thanks for sharing your experience!
One of the best soups I’ve ever had in my life. I couldn’t count how many “mmm’s” said while eating. Absolutely outstandng!!!
Thank you so much!
Absolutely delicious 😋
Would one be able to use an Insta pot for this recipe?
I haven't tested it but, I'm certain it could be adapted.
When is says steak seasoninfmg. Do you mean a powder or like a1
On the spice aisle of most grocery stores, there are generally several brands of steak seasoning. Use your favorite brand or blend of seasonings.
This is a great recipe! Easy to follow instructions and the end result was delicious! Made this last night for dinner and froze the rest to have for another 2 dinners. Definitely a keeper!!!
Thanks so much, Susan!
why can't I just print the recipe only. I tried to print it and it wants me to print all 7 pages. I just want recipe.
The print function will not ask you to print 7 pages. Please use our print function in the recipe template.