Free oven space and make tender juicy Slow Cooked Turkey Breast using a crockpot. While a crockpot may not be large enough for a whole turkey, a turkey breast fits like a charm and it’s the perfect size for a smaller gathering. This turkey is rubbed with butter and plenty of poultry seasoning and then it cooks on a bed of fresh carrots, onion wedges and celery to season the stock. After slow cooking give the turkey ample time to rest while you make the gravy, then carve and serve.
Easy Slow Cooked Turkey Breast Recipe
Naturally, most of us usually think about making a whole turkey around Thanksgiving. For smaller gatherings a juicy bake turkey breast is just the right size. If you enjoy turkey for sandwiches and casseroles this turkey recipe is a terrific starting point. To make a crock pot turkey begin by rubbing the bone in turkey breast with a homemade dry rub and topping with pats of butter. Arrange fresh celery, onion wedges and carrots and bay leaves in the bottom of the slow cooker then center the turkey breast on top. Fit the lid firmly in place and cook on high for 30 minutes then on low for 6-7 hours depending on the weight of the turkey. You can crisp the skin under the oven broiler, then carve and serve.
How to Make the Best Tender Slow Cooked Turkey Breast Recipe
For those who may be a little uneasy about baking a turkey for the first time, the slow cooker provides a great alternative. It allows you to free-up your oven to prepare other dishes and it’s a moist cooking environment making it unnecessary to baste the turkey while it cooks.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooked Turkey Breast: 7-8 pound turkey breast, softened butter, poultry seasoning, celery, onion, carrots, chicken stock, bay leaves, salt and black pepper.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: One 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker, measuring spoons, vegetable peeler, sharp knife and cutting board.
- The poultry seasoning I use for this recipe is called Poultry Magic. (affiliate link) It includes an expanded flavor profile that includes paprika and a hint of spice. You can use your favorite seasoning blend to make this recipe.
- When choosing the turkey breast, consider the size and shape of your slow cooker. An oval slow cooker tends to do best as the shape is conducive to fitting a turkey breast or even a whole chicken more easily.
- Is a slow cooker and a crockpot the same thing? Yes, in essence they are. Crock Pot is a brand that has become synonymous with slow cooking. The directions are the same regardless.
- Slow cookers provide a moist cooking environment that won’t crisp the skin. After slow cooking, if you prefer crisp skin, place the turkey breast under the oven broiler until it’s crisped and browned to your liking.
- Slow cookers are much like conventional ovens in that they can vary in how quickly or slowly they cook. So, keep in mind how your slow cooker performs for the best individual results.
- How long do you bake a turkey breast in the oven? Depending on the size it will take anywhere from 2-3 hours to bake a turkey breast. For oven preparation, see the Cook’s note in the recipe template for specific instructions.
- You can also slow cook a turkey breast in a Dutch oven. Braise the seasoned turkey breast covered at 325°F for 20 minutes per pound or until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Uncover and crisp the skin under the oven broiler.
- You may also like to try my recipes for make ahead Turkey Gravy and Southern Cornbread Dressing to go with this juicy turkey breast.
- Store leftover Slow Cooked Turkey Breast in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Slow Cooker Recipes to Make
Slow cooking remains a favorite at our house that can take you from appetizers to desserts. More slow cooker recipes you may also like to try:
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables is a one pot meal.
- Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef is delicious cooked low and slow.
- Applewood Cider Slow Cooker Chicken simmers in apple cider adding a hint of apple in the flavor.
- Slow Cooked Three Cheese Mac and Cheese is great for busy oven days.
- Tender fall apart .Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup with Ham.
- You can throw down a shrimp boil a y day of the week with this Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil recipe.
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from The Magical Slow Cooker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
- 1 7-8 lb bone in skin on turkey breast
- 5 Tbsp softened butter divided
- 4 Tbsp poultry or turkey seasoning, plus additional as needed i.e. Poultry Magic or McCormick Original Chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 rib celery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Rinse and pat dry the turkey breast. Rub with 3 Tbsp of softened butter all over and under the skin. Pull back the skin and sprinkle the breast meat liberally with seasoning. Pull the skin back over the breast and season the exterior of the bird inside and out. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chopped celery, carrot, onion and bay leaves in the bottom of the slow cooker. Drizzle with chicken broth.
- Center the turkey breast in the slow cooker and dot the top with the remaining 2 Tbsp of softened butter.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes, then on low for 6-7 hours, depending on your slow cooker. Check for doneness at 6 hours. Poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove to a platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- To make gravy: Strain the broth pour into a stove top pan. To thicken whisk in a flour or cornstarch slurry. Adjust the seasoning, to your taste.
- Keep warm until serving.