Free oven space and make tender juicy Slow Cooked Turkey Breast using a crockpot. While a crockpot may not be large enough for a whole turkey, a turkey breast fits like a charm and is the perfect size for a smaller gathering. Rubbed with butter and plenty of poultry seasoning it rests on a bed of fresh carrot and celery to season the stock. After slow cooking give the turkey ample time to rest while you make the gravy, then carve and serve.
Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
Naturally, most of us usually think about making a turkey around Thanksgiving. It's perhaps my most favorite holiday of the year. That said, my family enjoys turkey year-round. So much so, that during the holidays when turkey breasts go on sale, I stock my freezer for future meals. I've been known to cook a turkey breast just so we can enjoy turkey sandwiches.
Slow Cooking Results in Tender and Moist Turkey
For those who may be a little uneasy about baking a turkey for the first time, the slow cooker provides a great alternative. It allows you to free-up your oven to prepare other dishes and it's a moist cooking environment making it unnecessary to baste the turkey while it cooks.
- After slow cooking, if you prefer crisp skin, place the turkey breast under the oven broiler until it's crisped to your liking. Slow cookers are much like conventional ovens in that they can vary in how quickly or slowly they cook. So, keep in mind how your slow cooker performs for the best individual results.
- For oven preparation, see Cook's note for instructions.
- You may also like to try my recipes for make ahead Turkey Gravy and Southern Cornbread Dressing.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes to Add to the Menu
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- Applewood Cider Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Triple Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from The Magical Slow Cooker
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Oval Programmable Slow Cooker
- Turkey Lifters
- Porcelain Gravy Boat with Stand
- Pumpkin Embossed Serving Platter
Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 7-8 lb bone in skin on turkey breast
- 5 Tbsp softened butter divided
- 4 Tbsp poultry or turkey seasoning, plus additional as needed i.e. Poultry Magic or McCormick Original Chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 rib rcelery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Rinse and pat dry the turkey breast. Rub with 3 Tbsp of softened butter all over and under the skin. Pull back the skin and sprinkle the breast meat liberally with seasoning. Pull the skin back over the breast and season the exterior of the bird inside and out. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chopped celery, carrot, onion and bay leaves in the bottom of the slow cooker. Drizzle with chicken broth.
- Center the turkey breast in the slow cooker and dot the top with the remaining 2 Tbsp of softened butter.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes, then on low for 6-7 hours, depending on your slow cooker. Check for doneness at 6 hours. Poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove to a platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- To make gravy: Strain the broth pour into a stove top pan. To thicken whisk in a flour or cornstarch slurry. Adjust the seasoning, to your taste.
- Keep warm until serving.
1)Slow cookers provide a moist cooking environment that won't crisp the skin. If you prefer crisping the skin, carefully place into an oven safe pan skin side up. Set the oven on broil. Watch carefully broiling until the skin is golden and crispy. 2) Poultry seasonings vary in sodium content. Adjust amount of salt according to your taste to compensate. Oven Technique: Preheat oven to 325°F. Lower oven rack to lower third of oven. Rub turkey breast with 3 Tbsp butter and season turkey breast following instructions as written in slow cooked recipe. Arrange vegetables in bottom of large roasting pan or baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Drizzle with 1 cup chicken stock. Place bay leaves on vegetables. Center turkey breast on vegetables. Dot top with remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Roast a 6 lb breast for 2 - 2 ½ hours and a 7-8 lb turkey breast for 2 ½-3 hours. (adjust depending on weight) Roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion reaches 160-165°F. Rest loosely tented with foil for 20-30 minutes before carving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 550mg | Potassium: 70mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1516IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg