Carrot Cake Poke Cake begins with a simple cake mix and is guaranteed to end with your fork. Filled with cheesecake pudding and frosted with a sweet cream cheese frosting, it’s then sprinkled with toasted pecans for added crunch. Bakers of all skill levels can make this cake with success as it simplifies the classic carrot cake profile in the most delicious way.
Poke Cakes Make For Easy Baking
Poke cakes are traditionally made using a boxed cake mix. I most often bake completely from scratch but, I dearly love the idea of poke cakes and enjoy making them, too. They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, go figure? Bakers of all skill levels can be successful making this type of cake and flavor combinations abound. Part of the reason they’re so beloved is due to the ease of preparation making them a perfect choice for potluck events or Holiday gatherings when you need to be able to accommodate a crowd. This carrot cake version just brings the classic cake to the forefront and gives it another way to be presented. If you need a loaf cake variation of carrot cake see my Cream Cheese Frosted Carrot Cake Loaf.
Special Tips for Making Poke Cakes
Carrot cake is often associated with Easter but, remains a year-round favorite for many cake lovers. Just a few pointers for your success:
- Poke cakes need to sit overnight so, the flavors of the cake and filling can marry. Ideally this cake should be made the night before your special day.
- If preferred, you can wait and frost the top the day you want to serve it to keep any special piping or decoration on the top from being damaged.
When you’re in the mood to bake and want to make a special cake for the holidays with little fuss, this carrot cake poke cake is just the ticket. You may also like this fun carrot cake inspired recipe for Carrot Cake Smoothies from Gimme Some Oven.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Carrot Cake Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box Carrot cake mix plus ingredients to prepare [eggs oil, water]
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cup cold whole milk or half & half
- 2 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed or 4 cup fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces toasted
- Prepare the cake per the instructions on the box in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Immediately after removing from the oven use the handle of a wooden spoon or similar to poke holes all over the cake.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip together both boxes of cheesecake pudding mix with 3 cups of cold milk. Whip until thickened but still pourable. Spread over the cake and into the holes. Chill completely.
- To frost, use a hand mixer to cream together 2  oz softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add the whipped topping or fresh whipped cream and beat until fluffy.
- Spread over the cooled cake and garnish with toasted pecans. Store chilled.