This stunning Carrot Cake Poke Cake begins with a simple cake mix and is guaranteed to end with your fork. Filled with cheesecake pudding and frosted with a sweet cream cheese frosting, it's then sprinkled with toasted pecans for added crunch. Bakers of all skill levels can make this cake with success as it simplifies the classic carrot cake profile in the most delicious way.
Carrot Cake Poke Cake for Bakers of All Skill Levels
Poke cakes are traditionally made using a boxed cake mix. I most often bake completely from scratch but, I dearly love the idea of poke cakes and enjoy making them, too. They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, go figure? Bakers of all skill levels can be successful making this type of cake and flavor combinations abound. Part of the reason they're so beloved is due to the ease of preparation making them a perfect choice for potluck events or Holiday gatherings when you need to be able to accommodate a crowd. This carrot cake version just brings the classic cake to the forefront and gives it another way to be presented. If you need a loaf cake variation of carrot cake see my Cream Cheese Frosted Carrot Cake Loaf.
Helpful Tips for Making Carrot Cake Poke Cake
Carrot cake is often associated with Easter, but remains a year-round favorite for many cake lovers. Just a few pointers for your success:
- When poking the holes in the cake be generous.
- Use an offset icing spatula or similar to gently spread the pudding into the holes.
- Poke cakes need to sit overnight so, the flavors of the cake and filling can marry.
- Ideally this cake should be made the night before your special day.
- If preferred, you can wait and frost the top the day you want to serve it to keep any special piping or decoration on the top from being damaged.
- While I piped the whipped cream on top, you can frost this cake any way you like.
Other Poke Cake Recipes to Add to the Menu
When you're in the mood to bake and want to make a special cake for the holidays with little fuss, this carrot cake poke cake is just the ticket. Other poke cake variations you may like to try:
- Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake
- Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Cheesecake Birthday Poke Cake
- Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Poke Cake
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Kitchen Meets Girl
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Carrot Cake Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box Carrot cake mix plus ingredients to prepare (eggs, oil, water]
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cup cold whole milk or half & half
- 2 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed or 4 cup fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces toasted
- Prepare the cake per the instructions on the box in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Immediately after removing from the oven use the handle of a wooden spoon or similar to poke holes all over the cake.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip together both boxes of cheesecake pudding mix with 3 cups of cold milk. Whip until thickened but still pourable. Spread over the cake and into the holes. Chill completely.
- To frost, use a hand mixer to cream together 2  oz softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add the whipped topping or fresh whipped cream and beat until fluffy.
- Spread over the cooled cake and garnish with toasted pecans. Store chilled.