This Banana Pudding Poke Cake is a simple to make sweet treat that bakers of all skill levels can make. It begins with a vanilla cake that's smothered in a quick pudding then topped with banana slices, whipped topping and crushed vanilla wafers. It's the perfect potluck dessert to take to your next family, church or office party.
Banana Pudding Poke Cake is the Perfect Potluck Dessert
This cake recipe is from my friend Jamie Sherman's new cookbook entitled "The Poke Cake Cookbook". In Jamie's book she features simple cakes with ingredients that are easy to find to celebrate every occasion. You may know Jamie from her blog Love Bakes Good Cakes. Jamie says about her first cookbook: "As a busy mom of five kids, I know how hectic life can be sometimes. I don’t always have the motivation to come up with some elaborate, over-the-top dessert …. but I still want people to think I rocked it out! And I know you do, too. I wrote The Poke Cake Cookbook to help take desserts to the next level. All 75 recipes are semi-homemade and use common ingredients. Whether you use the book recipe by recipe, or as an inspiration to your own creative combinations, this cookbook will get you in and out of the kitchen fast, while still giving you dessert-making rock star status!"
Be Inspired to Bake with Your Family
I couldn't agree more, this fun book is certain to inspire you to get into the kitchen and make memories using Jamie's dessert recipes. It's likely no surprise that I chose this Banana Pudding Poke Cake recipe to share with you, it's a fantastic addition to the recipes on MSSK celebrating my obsession with banana pudding in every form.
Pro Tips and Pointers for Making Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Jamie's recipe calls for 2 boxes of instant banana pudding however, I recommend using one vanilla and one banana pudding mix as it mellows the banana flavor in the instant pudding mix a bit, and I find it a more pleasing flavor.
- Also, if you'd like to make the cake from scratch my Old Fashioned Butter Cake would work perfectly.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix plus eggs, oil, water to prepare
- 1 3.4 oz box instant banana pudding mix
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups whole milk or half & half
- 4-5 medium medium bananas sliced
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- ½ cup crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
- 16 whole vanilla wafers for garnishing optional
- Prepare the cake in a 13 x 9-inch cake pan per the package directions using the amounts called for of eggs, oil and water. (May use milk or buttermilk in place of the water)
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl whip together both banana and vanilla instant puddings with milk or half and half until thickened.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Using the back of a wooden spoon or similar immediately poke holes all over the cake.
- Spread the prepared pudding on top and into the holes. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, layer banana slices over the pudding and frost with whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the top with crushed vanilla wafers. Chill until serving.
- May garnish each piece with one vanilla wafer, if desired.
Lori @ RecipeGirl
Poke cakes are the best when you need a simple dessert recipe! This looks great!
Toni | Boulder Locavore
This looks absolutely amazing!
Such a fun twist on banana pudding!
Such a delicious treat!
Such a nostalgic cake and reminds me of Magnolia's famous banana pudding in cups. Wonderful!
Can't wait to try this cake, it looks incredible!
My banana cream pie loving husband will be thrilled with this recipe! SO much easier and just as delicious!!!
So yummy and perfect for Sunday dessert or company.
Cathy @ Noble Pig
Dessert doesn't get much better than this.