This Cream Cheese Frosted Carrot Cake Loaf is made-from-scratch deliciousness. Just like quick breads, loaf cakes are terrific for smaller group events when you don’t want tons of leftovers. This cake minus the frosting, can easily double as a quick bread, the kind that pairs beautifully with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
If you’re baking for someone who isn’t very fond of raisins or walnuts you can leave them out without any other adjustments needed. I enjoy the chewiness the raisins add to the batter along with the shredded coconut and toasted walnuts. This cake is also suitable to make ahead and freeze. When you’re ready to serve it, thaw and frost. It’s the kind of cake that satisfies your sweet tooth with ingredients that are already stashed in your pantry.
Cream Cheese Frosted Carrot Cake Loaf
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice [See Cook's note]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup white raisins [optional]
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 x 4 x 5-inch loaf pan or spray with baking spray. Set aside. Sift together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients by hand until fully combined.
- Add the shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts and raisins. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To frost, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and cream. Spread on top. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, if desired. Slice and serve. Store chilled and bring to room temperature for serving.
1) You may substitute 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger. 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp ground clove or Allspice for the pumpkin pie spice. Adjust to your taste.
2) If making to freeze leave off the frosting and wrap tightly in freezer safe wrap. Frost after thawing and just before serving.