This easy chocolate caramel Cashew Turtles Candy recipe is a special confection to make. It’s ideal for homemade gift giving, for serving as a two bite holiday sweet treat or anytime handheld sweets are on the menu.
Easy Cashew Turtles Candy Recipe
Turtles candy made with pecan halves is an absolute classic. It’s one of the all-time favorite candies beloved nationwide. This recipe uses cashews as the nut of choice and I’m here to tell you it’s a nice little upgrade. How to make Cashew Turtles Candy Recipe: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Cashews – Arrange 12 even clusters of cashews on a sheet pan. You can make these as big or as small as you like.
- Caramel – In a small heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat melt together the caramels with the heavy cream cooking for 6-8 minutes.Cook while stirring until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Mix well.
- Assemble – Drizzle the warm caramel over each cashew cluster beginning at the center, leaving some cashews visible. (A small meatball size scoop is perfect for keeping the caramel in even portions)
- Let the Caramel Set – Set the pan into the refrigerator to set while you melt the chocolate.
- Chocolate Topping – In a double boiler melt together the chocolate chips with vegetable shortening over one inch of simmering water. Melt for 6-8 minutes or until completely smooth. Divide evenly between the cashew turtles spreading over the caramel.
- Chill – Place the pan back into the refrigerator and chill until firm. Store in an airtight container chilled for up to 1 week.
- Optional topping: Sprinkle Cashew Turtles with coarse sea salt or chopped cashews while chocolate is still wet.
How to Make the Best Cashew Turtles Candy Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Cashew Turtles: One pound salted cashews, caramel squares i.e. Kraft Caramels, sea salt, vanilla extract, semi sweet or milk chocolate chips, heavy cream, solid vegetable shortening and optional coarse salt to sprinkle on top.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: 2 sheet pans lined with parchment paper, a saucepan to melt the caramels, a saucepan or a double boiler to melt the chocolate, spoons for stirring, measuring cups and spoons and a rubber spatula or offset icing spatula to spread the chocolate.
- I have a tiny meatball size scoop that I use to divide the caramel and chocolate for the turtles candy. It works like a charm for keeping them uniform in size.
- You can melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, if you don’t have a double boiler. A double boiler really is best as it keeps the chocolate warm while you work. To make your own double boiler: Use a tempered glass bowl or metal bowl placed over an inch of simmering water. Don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Should you opt to melt the chocolate in the microwave, do so in 30 second increments or using the melt function on your microwave. Stop and stir each time repeating the process until it’s completely smooth.
- Store these Cashew Turtles Candy clusters in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to one week.
- Bring chilled Cashew Turtles Candy to room temperature for serving to allow the caramel to soften.
More Southern Style Candy Recipes to Make
- Easy Butter Pecan Fudge is a holiday must-make.
- Sweet and Salty Candy Clusters are made with pretzels, nuts and raisins.
- Spongy Honeycomb Candy melts in your mouth.
- These Toffee Peanut Clusters come together in minutes.
- Two bite Peanut Butter Balls.
- These Easy Cream Cheese Mints can be made in any color to suit the occasion.
- You can make this Microwave Peanut Brittle any time of year.
- Soft Cream Caramels from That Skinny Chick can Bake.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cashew Turtles Candy
- 1 lb salted cashews
- 45 soft caramels, wrappers removed (i.e. Kraft)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange 12 even clusters of cashews on each pan.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat melt together the caramels with heavy cream for 6-8 minutes. Cook while stirring until completely smooth. Remove from the heat, add vanilla. Mix well.
- Drizzle warm caramel over each cashew cluster beginning at the center, leaving some cashews visible. Set the pan into the refrigerator to set while you melted the chocolate. (A small meatball size scoop is perfect for keeping the caramel in even portions)
- In a double boiler melt together the chocolate chips with vegetable shortening over one inch of simmering water. Melt for 6-8 minutes or until completely smooth. Stir well to combine.
- Divide warm chocolate evenly between the cashew turtles spreading over caramel.
- Place the pan back into the refrigerator and chill until firm. Store in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Optional Topping: Sprinkle Cashew Turtles with coarse sea salt or chopped cashews while chocolate is still wet.