I’ve prepared many different cluster candies through the years, but, I always seem to come back to this ingredient combination. I’m a huge fan of Cadbury’s fruit and nut candy bars hence the reason I opted to put chewy raisins in these clusters.The recipes that inspired this sweet and salty cluster didn’t include pretzels and they were skimpy on chocolate. But now, after tweaking to make it to our taste, I wouldn’t make this candy any other way. Fair warning, you can’t eat just one.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sweet And Salty Candy Clusters
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 2/3 cup broken pretzel sticks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet. Roast for 6-8 minutes, stirring as needed. Set aside to cool, while you prepare the chocolate.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt together the chocolate and shortening until smooth. Alternately, In a microwave safe bowl, melt together 3 cups of chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of shortening. Heat in 30 second intervals, stopping to stir as needed. Continue this process until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile, place pretzels, raisins and toasted almonds into large mixing bowl. Pour melted chocolate on top. Stir until evenly coated.
- Using a teaspoon or a small cookie scoop. drop in clusters onto wax paper. Allow to set up for 1 hour or until and dry. May chill to speed process.
- Store in an airtight container on the chilled or at room temperature. Bring to room temperature for serving.