These scrumptious Cheddar Sausage Biscuits make a tasty start to any day. Glistening with melted butter, they’re filled with breakfast sausage, fresh chives and cheese. They’re certain to disappear in a hurry.
Cheddar Sausage Biscuits
Biscuits, otherwise known as the house bread of the South, have many faces. Classic fluffy Southern buttermilk biscuits are the gold standard. That said, there’s absolutely no reason you can’t add goodies to a classic biscuit to change the flavor and add interest. Whether you make them sweet like cinnamon swirl raisin biscuits or cheddar ranch drop biscuits or biscuits stuffed with ham and eggs the versatility of homemade biscuits is endless.
Cheddar Sausage Biscuit Making Tips
- As you can see, I opted to cut these biscuits into squares. You can make them into any shape you like using a variety of biscuit cutters in various sizes. The choice is yours.
- For this recipe, I like to freeze the butter and toss it through the dry ingredients rather than cutting in with a pastry blender. It works perfectly.
- When sifting dry ingredients, it’s perfectly fine to use a whisk making this task so much easier.
- When making biscuits, it’s important not to over mix the dough. This dough will need to be kneaded a couple of times just to bring it together. Once it comes together and is smooth, it’s time to stop. If not, the over worked dough can make the biscuits tough.
- These biscuits can be baked on a cookie sheet or, side by side in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
Other Biscuit Recipes You May Enjoy
Sweet or savory, biscuits are ideal for serving at any meal. Whether you’re in the mood for honey butter biscuits, cheddar bacon drop biscuits, or light and fluffy angel biscuits, You may also like these sweet blueberry biscuits from Call me PMc.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheddar Sausage Biscuits
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter frozen and grated
- 1 lb breakfast sausage cooked, crumbled and cooled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or colby-jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives
- 1 cup buttermilk (not fat free)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or heavy cream to brush tops
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add grated butter, mix until evenly distributed.
- To the bowl add sausage, cheese and chives, mix well.
- Make a well in the center adding buttermilk. Mix thoroughly. Turn out onto a lightly floured non-stick surface. Turn a couple of times to bring together and lightly coat with flour.
- Press into roughly a 9 x 9 inch square around 1-inch thick. Use a sharp knife dipped in flour to cut into 12 even squares.
- Place squares side by side on baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter or cream.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Serve immediately brushed with additional butter, if desired..