This dreamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup with Bacon is a riff on classic loaded potato soup. Packed with flavor, it serves up a heaping helping of comfort without the guilt.
Cheddar Cauliflower Soup with Bacon
One pot dishes like this cheddar cauliflower soup make for family pleasing meals. They also have the bonus of easy clean-up and less pots and pans to wash. That's a huge perk, if you ask me. I think that's perhaps one of the main reasons I love one pot meals and casseroles so very much. This soup is a lower carb option when you're craving a classic creamy potato soup. It comes with a heaping helping of comfort in every bite.
Helpful Tips for Making Cauliflower Soup
- If you prefer to make this cheddar cauliflower soup meat free, leave off the bacon and sauté the vegetables in olive oil and butter instead of the bacon drippings. Either way, it's a winner.
- This soup can easily be prepared in advance and reheated.
- Low fat dairy products work well in this recipe.
- You may substitute turkey bacon in place of pork bacon.
- Serve it as you would any soup, with a salad and buttered rolls or garlic bread, and it is guaranteed to hit the cool weather comfort food spot.
Other Soup Recipes to Add to the Menu
Soup is one of those meals that happen year-round at our house despite the season. Other soup recipes to try:
- Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup made with white cheddar cheese.
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup is filling and delicious.
- French Onion Soup topped with cheesy bread croutons.
- Cajun 15 Bean Soup with andouille sausage.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheddar Cauliflower Soup with Bacon
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large head cauliflower separated into florets
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 32 oz container low sodium chicken stock
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup cold milk
- 2 green onions sliced
- In a large pot or dutch oven, fry the bacon slices until crisp then remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoon of drippings in the pot.
- Add 2 tablespoon of butter or a couple of drizzles of olive oil to the reserved drippings. Saute onion, carrot and celery in the drippings until softened and beginning to brown, around 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and minced garlic, cooking until the garlic is fragrant around 1-2 minutes. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add chicken stock and the cauliflower florets. Cook over medium-high until fork tender, around 10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add the softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese to the pot. Stir until completely melted and combined.
- Dissolve 3 tablespoon cornstarch in 1 cup cold milk. Stir into the soup. Repeat, if you'd like to add more liquid.
- Cook just until heated through and the soup has thickened. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Add crumbled bacon and stir well. Reserve some bacon crumbles for garnishing.
- Serve immediately with shredded cheese, sliced green onion and bacon crumbles on top, if desired
Lower fat diary products will also work well in this soup.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 693mg | Potassium: 310mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2271IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
I made this soup today and it is so delicious! Served with hot bread.
I made a few changes of cutting back the cream cheese to half and put 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. Also added a couple potatoes peeled and cubed. Added in with the cauliflower.
Very good recipe!! Thank you Melissa!
Martha E Merza
This looks so good. Have you ever made it using frozen florets? I have lots in the freezer and would love to use them up.
Hi Martha, you could use frozen cauliflower, sure.
There is no potato in the cheesy potato cauliflower soup!
This recipe has no potato in it, perhaps you have it confused with a different recipe.
Just made this soup tonight and by accident we added a Litre of Beef stock instead of chicken stock and it was still amazing!
Thanks for the recipe.
That sounds great actually, thanks so much!
I favor Southern Style cuisine. In my humble opinion, we only live once and I can't go out of this life without having enjoyed the best food. Thanks Melissa. Your style is toned back a bit for health while maintaining the unique taste of the Deep South.
Hi Peggy, thank you for such a kind comment and for visiting. I'm delighted you're finding some recipes to enjoy.
What about garlic which is not mentioned in ingredients ?....
No one have noticed it?
Garlic is in the ingredient list.
Linda, if you lived nearby I'd send a bowl over to you. Thanks!
Well my friend, this soup most definitely has my name on it. I know you didn't post this recipe just for me, but I feel like you KNOW I'll be making this real soon. Thanks for sharing, sounds just fabulous!
Hi Teresa, I hope you enjoy it, it's filling without being overly heavy.
I like cauliflower. I've never had any kind of cauliflower soup, though. but this soup looks good. I will be making this soup very soon. Teresa
Thank you Linda!
This looks so good! I love that it takes cream cheese and I bet this gives it a wonderful flavor and smooth texture. I can not wait to pick up the ingredients. Thank you so much for sharing! Linda
Thank you Melissa!
Arthur in the Garden!
Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books
Sounds great for this cold weather!
Pinned to my Soup Board!