This easy microwave Cheddar Cheese Sauce is perfect for drizzling on steamed veggies, tortilla chips, burgers or as a fondue with bread for dipping.
Microwave Cheddar Cheese Sauce
The uses for this sauce are endless. In addition to the aforementioned, you can also use this as a quick cheese sauce for stovetop macaroni and cheese. Once the macaroni is cooked, drain well and toss with the desired amount of this cheddar cheese sauce for a quick no-brainer mac and cheese. The most important note is to be certain of the wattage of the microwave that you use and adjust the cooking time accordingly. It's a fun way to make a staple with the added bonus of knowing each ingredient that's included. For the same reason, you may also enjoy these cheddar cheese pretzels for The Gunny Sack for snacking.
Helpful Tips for Making Easy Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- When preparing the cornstarch slurry, it's important to use cold milk. The sauce will be thin at this point once it's whisked in but, will thicken further as it cooks.
- Return to the microwave heating in 2 minute increments stopping to whisk each time.
- Depending on the wattage of your microwave, it may take several cycles to cook. In my microwave, it took three 2 minute cycles total to thicken to my liking.
- The sauce will also continue to thicken as it cools.
Helpful Tips for Making Cheese Sauce
- When making in advance, store this cheese sauce in an airtight container and chill. Please note, once cooled it will solidify. Whisk and gently reheat in the microwave. Repeat whisking and heating in small increments until smooth. Add small amounts of milk as needed to thin.
- This recipe was made in an 1000 watt microwave. Make adjustments to the cooking time based on the wattage of the microwave used.
- For the best result, use 2% or whole milk to prepare.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Microwave Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 cup whole milk plus additional for dissolving cornstarch
- 3 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- dash ground nutmeg [optional]
- black pepper to taste [optional]
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add milk, cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese to bowl. Stir well, cover with doubled paper towels, then return to the microwave. Heat on full power for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in just enough cold milk to make a slurry to thicken the sauce. Use mitts to safely remove bowl from microwave, it may be hot. Whisk the slurry into the warmed sauce along salt, ground mustard, nutmeg and pepper, if using.
- The mixture will be thin at this point. Return to the microwave heating in 2 minute increments stopping to whisk each time.
- Repeat until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture has thickened to your liking. This cheese sauce took three  minute cycles total to thicken. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Use immediately or place into an airtight container and chill. See instructions for reheating in Cook's note.
b) This cheddar cheese sauce was made in a1000 watt microwave. Make adjustments to the cooking time based on the wattage of the microwave in use.
c) For the best results use whole milk or 2% milk to prepare.