This oven roasted Cheesy Baked Asparagus is a decadent, yet easy side dish that will elevate your side dish choices year-round. Whether it's a holiday gathering or summer produce season, it's a spectacular way to encourage the kids to eat their veggies.
Asparagus to Cheese or Not to Cheese?
There are few vegetables I dislike. When I do dislike one, it's often connected to the method of preparation and not the vegetable itself. While I love roasted. grilled or steamed asparagus, canned asparagus never darkens the shelf of my pantry. Ever. The soft, yes mushy, texture does nothing to add to its appeal. It seems many people's first experience with asparagus was the canned variety and it turns them off for life. I think this cheesy asparagus is one that may just win them over.
- Fresh asparagus comes in varying thickness. When choosing a bunch, pick one that has similar sized stalks for even cooking.
- It's important to remove the woody part of the stem. It's fine to use for adding flavor to vegetable stocks or soups but, it's not very appealing to eat. Hold the stalk in your hand then bend gently. This will make it easier to know where to break or cut off, it naturally bends at that point, Just remove that portion prior to cooking.
- You can adapt the flavor of the cheese used to suit your taste.
- The asparagus will release liquid while baking, this is a normal part of the cooking process.
- Adjust the baking time according to the thickness of the asparagus. Slender stalks will take much less time to bake.
Other Asparagus Recipes to Try
- This Alfredo Penne with Ham Asparagus and Corn is a tasty use for leftover ham from the holidays.
- These Bacon Wrapped Asparagu Bundles can be assembled in advance then baked just before serving.
- Mediterranean Penne Pasta Salad serves as a side dish or a light meal.
- Air Fryer Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan is a tasty low carb option from Kalyn's Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Baked Asparagus
- 2-3 lbs asparagus ends trimmed
- ½ tsp salt adjust to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper adjust to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low moisture mozzarella cheese or monterey jack or Gruyere
- ½ cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange asparagus in dish. Some may overlap. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, ⅓ cup Parmesan, onion powder and garlic. Pour evenly over asparagus.
- Sprinkle top with remaining ⅓ cup Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, sprinkle the top with french fried onions. Continue to bake another 5 minutes or until crisp tender and bubbly. Bake longer for softer texture.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve, drizzled with sauce.