This oven roasted Cheesy Baked Asparagus recipe is a decadent, yet easy dish that will elevate your side dish choices year-round. Whether it's a holiday gathering or summer produce season, it's a spectacular way to encourage the kids to eat their veggies.
Easy Cheesy Baked Asparagus Recipe
There are few vegetables I dislike. When I do dislike one, it's often connected to the method of preparation and not the vegetable itself. While I love roasted. grilled or steamed asparagus, canned asparagus never darkens the shelf of my pantry. Ever. The soft, yes mushy, texture does nothing to add to its appeal. It seems many people's first experience with asparagus was the canned variety and it turns them off for life. I think this cheesy asparagus is one that may just win them over.
How to Make the Best Cheesy Baked Asparagus Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe for Cheesy Baked Asparagus: 2-3 pounds fresh asparagus spears, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cream, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, minced garlic cloves, shredded Mozzarella, Monterey Jack or Gruyere cheese and French fried onion for the top.
- Fresh asparagus comes in varying thickness. When choosing a bunch, pick one that has similar sized stalks for even cooking.
- It's important to remove the woody part of the stem from the asparagus. It's fine to use it for adding flavor to vegetable stocks or soups, but it's not very appealing to eat. Hold the stalk in your hand then bend gently. It will naturally bend at the part of the stalk to break. Break or use a sharp knife to remove that portion prior to cooking.
- You can adapt the flavor of the shredded cheese used to suit your taste. Whatever you like, will be delish!
- The asparagus will release liquid while baking, this is a normal part of the cooking process. You can expect the sauce to be a bit thinner due to that.
- It's important to adjust the baking time according to the thickness of the asparagus used. Slender stalks will take much less time to bake.
- You can assemble this cheesy baked asparagus several hours in advance, then bake it just before serving for a timesaver. When doing so, allow 15 minutes on the counter to warm to room temperature prior to baking.
- Reheat leftovers gently in the microwave or in individual portions. You can also reheat in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or just until heated through.
- Store leftovers chilled in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More Delicious Asparagus Recipes to Make
Asparagus is a delicious addition to many main dish and side dish recipes. More asparagus recipes you may like to try:
- This Alfredo Penne with Ham Asparagus and Corn is a tasty use for leftover ham from the holidays.
- These Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles can be assembled in advance then baked just before serving.
- Mediterranean Penne Pasta Salad serves as a side dish or a light meal.
- Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus drizzled with balsamic glaze.
- Air Fryer Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan is a tasty low carb option from Kalyn's Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Baked Asparagus
- 2-3 lbs asparagus ends trimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low moisture mozzarella cheese or monterey jack or Gruyere
- ½ cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange asparagus in dish. Some may overlap. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, ⅓ cup Parmesan, onion powder and garlic. Pour evenly over asparagus.
- Sprinkle top with remaining ⅓ cup Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, sprinkle the top with french fried onions. Continue to bake another 5 minutes or until crisp tender and bubbly. Bake longer for softer texture.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve, drizzled with sauce.
This is so delicious, it’s the go to side dish everyone loves it. My daughter said the sauce is the best and the fried onions add just a little crunch. 🥰
I'm so happy you enjoyed it, thanks!
This was so easy and so yummy.
In step 6 it says to “drizzle with sauce”. Is it the sauce from the baked casserole or something else? Thanks!
Yes, it's referencing the sauce that forms while baking.
Where is the recipe for Baked Zucchini Bites? All I seen was for cheesy asparagus and other ones about asparagus.
You're on the wrong recipe. Baked Zucchini Bites recipe here.
Best way I know to get the family to eat asparagus. Keto friendly too.
i put asparagus in toaster oven on 375 bake 15 minutes with cheese .