This Cheesy Cabbage Casserole recipe turns a simple head of cabbage into something spectacular. It elevates cabbage transforming it into a cheesy side dish that's complementary to most any entrée.
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole Recipe
I confess, I'm a cabbage lover in every sense of the word. Whether it's creamy homemade coleslaw, roasted cabbage steaks or braised with sausages and potatoes for a one pot meal, it's always a winner. To make this recipe, you'll need a sharp knife and cutting board to chop the cabbage, a large skillet, a cheese grater and standard measuring tools, a small bowl to mix the butter with the cracker crumbs and a 13 x 9 inch baking dish for baking.
How to Make the Best Cheesy Cabbage Casserole Recipe
What's the best cabbage to use? You don't need any fancy cabbage to make this cabbage casserole, a head of inexpensive green cabbage will do.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Southern Cheesy Cabbage Casserole: Olive oil, green cabbage, onion, minced garlic, half and half, cream of celery soup, garlic salt, lemon pepper, dried thyme, butter and shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese.
- The topping is super easy, using crushed Ritz crackers tossed with melted butter. You could adapt the topping using Club crackers or Cheez-its if that's your preference.
- I find it worth the small amount of effort it takes to precook the cabbage before adding it to the other ingredients. The end result is more tasty if the cabbage has had time to evaporate some of the liquid and soften a bit before assembling the casserole.
- Cream of celery soup is my first pick and works very well in this recipe. If you prefer, you could adapt using cream of mushroom, cheddar cheese soup or cream of chicken soup, if that's what you have on hand.
- This is another casserole that you can adapt using your favorite variety of cheese. You could even use pepper jack to add a little heat to the overall flavor.
- You can add a layer of cooked and seasoned ground beef or sausage to this casserole to turn it into a one dish meal.
- Like most casseroles, this cabbage casserole can be assembled in advance, covered and chilled and popped into the refrigerator. It's a terrific timesaver and you'll have it ready to bake just before serving.
- When assembling cabbage casserole in advance, it's best to wait and top with the buttered Ritz crumbs until baking. Also, allow 15 minutes on the counter to allow it to warm to room temperature.
- You can store baked cabbage casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat leftovers in the microwave.
- You can freeze cabbage casserole. Please note, when freezing you'll need to reheat and crisp the Ritz cracker topping in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
More Southern Style Cabbage Recipes to Make
Cabbage is inexpensive, readily available and can be transformed into a myriad of different kinds of recipes. Whether it serves as an ingredient for an entrée or a filling family pleasing side dish. Other recipes using cabbage you may like to try:
- Sweet and tangy Hillbilly Coleslaw gets better each day.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage ia a must-make for St Patrick's Day.
- Southern Chow Chow is the consummate condiment used for everything from pinto beans to hot dogs in the South.
- Tender and succulent Braised Pork Chops with Apples and Cabbage makes a mouthwatering one pot meal.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls served over rice is the easy way to make cabbage rolls.
- You may also like this recipe for Cabbage Hash Browns from Sweet and Savory Meals.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 3-4 lbs) cored and chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or Italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded colby jack or sharp cheddar cheese divided use
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- fresh parsley for garnishing optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add cabbage and onion, lower heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes partially covered with a lid just until fork tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover, add minced garlic cooking for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat add to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a separate mixing bowl whisk together soup, half and half and butter. Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- To the cabbage add 2 cups shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese and soup mixture. Mix well, then pour into baking dish. Top with reserved 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Toss Ritz cracker crumbs with 2 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and cabbage is tender when pierced with a knife.
- Let stand on counter for 5 minutes, then serve.
I'm excited to try this Melissa, can I use Panko breadcrumbs instead of Ritz crackers? Thanks in advance for replying!
Hi Ellen, sure if that's your preference. You could also use crushed Cheez-its or any cracker flavor that you enjoy.
I tried this recipe with only one exception I used heavy cream instead of having half because it's what I had it was one of the best cabbage recipes I've ever tasted I will be making this instead of green bean casserole this year at Thanksgiving .Five stars.
I'm so happy you enjoyed it ,thank you!
sounds yummy, will try that tonight.