This delicious tender Chicken Ham and Swiss Cheese Bake is one of our favorite "special occasion" dishes. Seasoned chicken breasts stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese are smothered with a simple sauce and baked. Serve this flavorful chicken it over noodles or on it's own with your favorite side dishes for dinner.
Chicken Ham and Swiss Cheese Bake
If you're like me, you always want to serve something a little extra special for Holidays or when entertaining guests, and this dish fits into that category. It's the creamy and decadent sauce that puts this dish into the over the top category. The flavors in this dish have universal appeal, because it combines tender chicken, with smoked ham and creamy Swiss cheese. If you love Swiss, checkout these ideas from Taste of Home.
Easy to Make Chicken Takes Minutes to Prepare
It's much more flavorful than a traditional cordon bleu, and there's no need to go to the trouble of pounding and rolling the chicken breasts jelly roll style. The sauce is simple, but decadent, and you can bake it, which adds to the ease of preparation. Serve with a side of buttered pasta or rice pilaf, so you can enjoy every drop of the delicious sauce.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Chicken Ham And Swiss Cheese Bake
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 thin slices smoked ham
- 4 thick slices Swiss cheese
- paprika garlic salt & black pepper
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pint light whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry tarragon
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 ½ cups crushed Swiss cheese crackers
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Take two pieces of ham and one piece of cheese. Roll the cheese between the two pieces of ham. Set aside.
- Slice through the middle of the chicken breasts and butterfly each piece of chicken being careful not to cut all the way through. Season each side with paprika, salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Tuck one ham and Swiss roll-up into each chicken piece and folding chicken over to secure.
- Place into the prepared baking dish with the ham-cheese side down. As the chicken cooks, and becomes firmer, the ham roll-up will naturally be held in place.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cream, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, tarragon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with grated Swiss cheese.
- In a small bowl toss the cracker crumbs with 1 Tbsp of melted butter, then sprinkle on top. Dust with paprika.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the juices run clear. Chicken should be fork tender. Serve over noodles, if desired.
This recipe easily doubles or triples, and it can also be modified for smaller chicken pieces.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 742kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 788mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 564IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 448mg | Iron: 1mg