This mouthwatering Chicken Florentine recipe features chicken breasts smothered with a delicious spinach cream sauce turning chicken into a five star dish. Serve it as an entree with pasta or mashed potatoes or any of your favorite sides.
Easy Chicken Florentine Recipe
What is Chicken Florentine? It features seasoned pan seared chicken breasts that are cooked and smothered with a cream sauce flavored with onion, garlic and wilted baby spinach. It’s a terrific option for a quick meal, yet it’s impressive enough to serve when entertaining.
How to Make the Best Chicken Florentine Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chicken Florentine: Four boneless skinless chicken breasts, olive oil, butter, salt, black pepper, minced onion, minced garlic, white wine (or chicken stock) half and half, chive and onion cream cheese, baby spinach leaves, dry Italian seasoning, grated Parmesan cheese and chopped Italian parsley for garnishing.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large skillet, measuring cups and spoons, large stirring spoon.
- If you prefer not to cook with wine, use chicken stock in the same amount in its place. White wine adds acidity to balance the richness of the sauce but it will still be delicious using chicken stock.
- What is half and half? Here in the US it’s sold as such but if you’re in another part of the world you can easily make your own. Use half heavy cream and half whole milk to total the amount called for in the recipe.
- To make Chicken Florentine, you begin by seasoning boneless skinless chicken breasts simply with salt and black pepper then cooking in butter.
- Remove the chicken to a platter, then add onion and garlic to the pan. Once softened add the spinach leaves cooking just until wilted.
- Next, add the wine to deglaze the pan and the seasonings per the recipe. Whisk in the half and half until combined.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the sauce and simmer just for a few minutes spooning the sauce over each piece of chicken to coat.
- You can thin the sauce further using additional stock or half and half. Likewise, you can thicken the sauce using more chive and onion cream cheese.
- To lighten the sauce a bit, use light butter and low fat half and half. You can also use light chive and onion cream cheese.
- Store Chicken Florentine in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat gently in the microwave in single servings. You can add additional half and half, chicken stock or milk to thin the sauce.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- Another easy skillet dish is this Lemon Chicken with Tarragon.
- Easy smothered Chicken and Gravy begins on the stovetop and finishes in the oven.
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breasts can be served as an entree, sliced to top a salad, turned into chicken sandwiches and more.
- Barbecue Chicken and Potato Foil Packs come with the bonus of easy clean-up, too.
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken can be served with pasta or any of your favorite sides.
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Chicken Fajitas are a game changer.
- Easy Cranberry Chicken from Belly Full.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small sweet onion minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsely
- Season chicken breasts on all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts. Cook for 4 minutes per side or until golden and juices run clear. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- To the skillet add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or just until softened. Cook over medium-high heat scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add white wine to pan to deglaze. Cook for 2 minutes to slightly reduce. Add spinach, dry Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp salt cooking just until wilted.
- Next, add cream cheese and half and half. Cook over medium while stirring until the cream cheese has melted completely.
- Add chicken breasts back to the skillet, spooning sauce over the chicken. Simmer over medium-low for 3 minutes or just until heated through.
- Sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley then serve over mashed potatoes or angel hair pasta drizzled with sauce.