Skip the drive through and make your own Crispy Chicken Sandwich at home. The secret to the crispy flavorful breading is combining a mixture of special seasonings, all purpose flour with the addition of corn starch for a superior crunch.
Easy Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe
The great chicken sandwich debate. While America's love of a crispy chicken sandwich isn't new, it has been in the news of late with fast food establishments touting that they have the very best. Admittedly, each of them bring their own unique flavors to the table. At the end of the day, it is possible to enjoy a homemade version at your own kitchen table. The beauty of making these sandwiches at home is, you can personalize the seasonings to your own taste. My kids love popcorn chicken and chicken tenders for dinner any night of the week, and I've never seen them turn away from a platter of Southern fried chicken.. Adding a chicken sandwich to the rotation gives us one more way to enjoy a classic.
How to Make the Best Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Don't be intimadated by the seasonings in the breading for these chicken sandwiches. while I've carefully crafted them and wouldn't change a thing, you could adapt them depending on what you have on hand.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, buttermilk, hot sauce, all purpose flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard, paprika, dill, cumin, cayenne, large eggs, water and vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A deep pot or deep fryer, a fry thermometer, shallow dishes for setting up the dredging station, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, a stainless steel spider or slotted spoon to remove the chicken rom the hot oil, tongs to turn the chicken pieces and a paper towel lined sheet pan.
- The purpose of pounding the chicken is to ensure that the chicken pieces are proportional in thickness for even cooking. Use the flat side of the meat mallet not the tenderizing side, pounding just until even but, not completely flat.
- The buttermilk brine adds flavor and moisture to the chicken. You may adjust the amount of hot sauce in the brine by decreasing, or increasing, to suit the taste of those you're serving. It can also be left out for those who prefer less heat.
- This crispy chicken features a delicious and unique blend of seasonings in the coating. Don't be intimidate by the list, you may adjust to your taste using what you have on hand. For those who like a spicy crispy chicken sandwich, the amount of cayenne can be adjusted. Likewise, if you're spice shy it can be omitted altogether.
- A whisk works perfectly to combine the dry ingredients for the breading. Take care to evenly distribute the seasonings throughout for the best end result.
- Double dipping the chicken will lend a thicker coating. If you like a thick breading, simply dip the chicken pieces into the egg wash and flour twice. Press the coating onto each piece so it will adhere.
- Make your own spicy mayonnaise by adding creole seasoning, a little creole mustard, garlic and hot sauce for a kick. Zatarains's and Tony Chachere's both have great blends among many others, that are readily available on the spice aisle of the grocery store.
- We also love a drizzle of comeback sauce on our chicken sandwich or as a dip for chicken tenders.
- Store leftover fried chicken for up to 3 days chilled in the refrigerator. It won't last that long. Reheat gently in the oven at 375°F to crisp the breading or in an air fryer.
Southern Style Side Dishes to Serve with Crispy Chicken Sandwich
There's no need to fret, I've got plenty of choices right here in the recipe index. A few side dish recipes you may like to try:
- Crispy Baked Potato Wedges are a stellar option.
- A side of Beer Battered Onion Rings with your favorite dipping sauce will have you dining out at your own kitchen table.
- Loaded Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are tender and fluffy on the inside with a crunchy skin.
- Skip the potatoes and go for a side of crunchy Broccoli Salad instead.
- A side of Southern Style Cole Slaw will always fit the bill.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce may adjust to taste
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne optional
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 6-8 cups canola oil
- 4 lightly toasted brioche buns
- assorted condiments for serving i.e. pickles mayonnaise, lettuce
- Place chicken breasts between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap. Pound thickest side with the flat side of a meat mallet just until chicken is uniform in thickness, not too thin.
- Place chicken into a large plastic storage bag or a shallow storage container. Whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce, pour over chicken. Seal bag and chill for 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- To fry: In a large dutch oven heat oil to 350°F. Have nearby a baking pan fitted with an oven safe rack.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Discard marinade. Season the chicken pieces lightly with salt. (eyeball amount, keep it light)
- In a shallow dish whisk together flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, mustard, paprika, dill, cumin and cayenne, if using. Whisk until seasonings are evenly distributed.
- In a separate shallow bowl whisk together eggs with cold water.
- To dredge: Dip chicken pieces in flour mixture, then into egg and back into flour mixture. Press coating firmly onto the chicken pieces. (See Cook's note for double dipping) Fry pieces in batches for 6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Adjust based on weight and size of chicken pieces used. Carefully remove to prepared pan. Season lightly with additional salt and keep warm.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns with pickles, mayonnaise, lettuce or any of your favorite toppings.
- For a thicker coating: Follow recipe coating each piece in flour, then egg wash and into flour. Repeat back into the egg wash and flour for a double dip. Press firmly onto chicken pieces.
The BEST chicken sandwich recipe I’ve ever came across! This has been a staple in my house 🤎
Thank you so much!
Can this chicken be grilled, instead of frying with the flour mix
You wouldn't be happy grilling flour coated or breaded chicken. I have many other chicken recipes that can be made on the grill, oven or stovetop in the recipe index here.
This recipe was fabulous! Wonderfully easy to follow directions, quick to prepare and fantastic flavor. I chose to butterfly my chicken breasts but that was just a personal preference for thinner serving sizes and quicker cook time. My family loved this. Many thanks for sharing.
Hi Carol, I'm so happy you all enjoyed this, thanks!
This was fantastic. I did add a little more salt, pepper and garlic and next time I think I'll add some extra cayenne. While the chicken was cooking, I added a bit of milk to the leftover egg and used that and the dry ingredients to make fried pickles to put on the sandwich, and that work out great!
Thanks for sharing.
I made the crispy chicken sandwich last night. OMG soooo good. I fried the chicken in my cast iron pan & cut the salt by 1/2 tsp. Other than that followed the directions. Best chicken sandwiches ever. No more salty chick-fil-A for me..
Ah wonderful, thank you!
Is there a possible misprint in the directions for "double-dipping" the chicken?? I'm having trouble figuring it out. Thanks!
No misprint. Double dipping is just as described in the Cook's notes. Dip it into the egg wash and back into the flour repeating, for a thicker breading.
Could these be prepared ahead of time then fried from frozen?
I haven't tested it so, I couldn't tell you with certainty. That said, fried chicken tends to freeze well after cooking, then reheated in the oven from frozen until crisp and heated through. The time would depend upon the thickness of the chicken pieces. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
Tastes like a fried chicken sandwich from a restaurant. LOVE this recipe 😋🤤
Thank you so much, Sydney!
Do you have to let it marinate in the buttermilk?
It's an important step, yes.
Can you make this in a air fryer?
I haven't tested this in an air fryer but, I don't see why you couldn't. If you try it come back and let us know how it goes.
I bet you would have to freeze it for a bit after coating and then spritz with oil for an air fryer. Just a guess though. I haven't had good luck with coating things and AF right after, unless I freeze. I have the Ninja Foodie, not sure if that makes a difference.
I'm trying the recipe as is tonight though!
Can I fry ahead of time, then reheat in airfryer?
Hi Sue, that's a great question. I haven't tested it but my thought is that you could crisp these again in the air fryer. If you try it, let us know how it goes!
Can they be frozen and if so how to reheat to keep them crospy.
i love this recipe the best fried chicken recipe yet
Thanks so much!