Skip the drive through and make your own Crispy Chicken Sandwich at home. The secret to the crispy flavorful breading is combining a mixture of special seasonings, all purpose flour with the addition of corn starch for a superior crunch.
The Great Crispy Chicken Sandwich Debate
While America's love of a crispy chicken sandwich isn't new, it has been in the news of late with fast food establishments touting that they have the very best. Admittedly, each of them bring their own unique flavors to the table. At the end of the day, it is possible to enjoy a homemade version at your own kitchen table. The beauty of making these sandwiches at home is, you can personalize the seasonings to your own taste. My kids love popcorn chicken and chicken tenders for dinner any night of the week and, I've never seen them turn away from a platter of Southern fried chicken.. Adding a chicken sandwich to the rotation gives us one more way to enjoy a classic.
Ways To Personalize Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- The purpose of pounding the chicken is to ensure that the chicken pieces are proportional in thickness for even cooking. Use the flat side of the meat mallet not the tenderizing side, pounding just until even but, not completely flat.
- The buttermilk brine adds flavor and moisture to the chicken. You may adjust the amount of hot sauce in the brine by decreasing, or increasing, to suit the taste of those you're serving. It can also be left out for those who prefer less heat.
- This crispy chicken features a delicious and unique blend of seasonings in the coating. Don't be intimidate by the list, you may adjust to your taste using what you have on hand. The amount of cayenne may also be adjusted or omitted all together, if desired.
- A whisk works perfectly to combine the dry ingredients for the breading. Take care to evenly distribute the seasonings throughout for the best end result.
- Double dipping the chicken will lend a thicker coating. If you like a thick breading, simply dip the chicken pieces into the egg wash and flour twice. Press the coating onto each piece so it will adhere.
- Make your own spicy mayonnaise by adding creole seasoning, a little creole mustard, garlic and hot sauce for a kick. Zatarains's and Tony Chachere's both have great blends among many others, that are readily available on the spice aisle of the grocery store.
- We also love a drizzle of comeback sauce on our chicken sandwich or as a dip for chicken tenders.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce may adjust to taste
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne optional
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 6-8 cups canola oil
- 4 lightly toasted brioche buns
- assorted condiments for serving i.e. pickles mayonnaise, lettuce
- Place chicken breasts between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap. Pound thickest side with the flat side of a meat mallet just until chicken is uniform in thickness, not too thin.
- Place chicken into a large plastic storage bag or a shallow storage container. Whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce, pour over chicken. Seal bag and chill for 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- To fry: In a large dutch oven heat oil to 350°F. Have nearby a baking pan fitted with an oven safe rack.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Discard marinade. Season the chicken pieces lightly with salt. (eyeball amount, keep it light)
- In a shallow dish whisk together flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, mustard, paprika, dill, cumin and cayenne, if using. Whisk until seasonings are evenly distributed.
- In a separate shallow bowl whisk together eggs with cold water.
- To dredge: Dip chicken pieces in flour mixture, then into egg and back into flour mixture. Press coating firmly onto the chicken pieces. (See Cook's note for double dipping) Fry pieces in batches for 6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Adjust based on weight and size of chicken pieces used. Carefully remove to prepared pan. Season lightly with additional salt and keep warm.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns with pickles, mayonnaise, lettuce or any of your favorite toppings.
- For a thicker coating: Follow recipe coating each piece in flour, then egg wash and into flour. Repeat back into the egg wash and flour for a double dip. Press firmly onto chicken pieces.