Chocolate Pecan Kentucky Pie – This chocolate chip pecan filled pie is a celebration pie of sorts. Every year we love to make a family event out of watching the Kentucky Derby. I for one, love the fashion and the general festive feeling that you get from the crowd. It’s one of those rare American events where you’ll see so many pretty hats and ladylike dresses.
Chocolate-Pecan Kentucky Pie
Servings: 6 -8 pieces
- 1 unbaked  inch deep dish pie shell frozen or homemade
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour plus one Tbsp
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped & toasted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients in the order given, and pour into the unbaked pie shell. Place onto a cookie sheet, to make it easier to move in and out of the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, cover the edges of the pie crust with foil, or one of those nifty pie rings, so, it won't over bake.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F. Continue to bake the pie for another 20-25 minutes or until the center of the pie slightly moves when gently shaken.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature before cutting.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
If you need to prepare this pie ahead of time, it re-heats in the microwave beautifully!