This Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe features a burst of lemon combined with a tender crumb. Serve it drizzled with a tangy lemon glaze or a simple dusting of powdered sugar, for an unforgettable dessert.
Homemade Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
This amazing Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake is a recipe from my best selling Melissa’s Southern Cookbook (Affiliate) When I began the process of writing my cookbook, it was truly a labor of love. In it, I share some of my own family’s favorite recipes, and reflect on the Southern cook’s from generations before me, who inspired my love of cooking and baking. Lemon pound cake is one of the classic cake flavors found all throughout the South, and I knew I had to include it. How to make Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake:
- Flour – All purpose flour sifted together with instant lemon pudding mix, salt and baking soda.
- Fats – Salted or unsalted butter. Bring it to room temperature so it will creasily with the sugar.
- Sour Cream – Full fat sour cream, this is no time to skrimp.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar.
- Eggs – 6 large eggs.
- Extract – Vanilla extract.
- Zest – Fresh lemon zest.
How to Make the Best Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Southern Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake: All purpose flour, instant lemon pudding mix, baking soda, salt, butter, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- For the lemon glaze you’ll need: Powdered sugar (sometimes called confectioners sugar) lemon juice and melted butter. Mix everything together in a medium bowl until smooth then drizzle over the cooled cake.
- You can use salted or unsalted butter in this pound cake recipe.
- If for some reason you need to replace the sour cream with an alternate ingredient I would recommended buttermilk or plain Greek yogurt.
- The lemon glaze is delicious on this easy pound cake recipe. If you prefer, you could serve it without the glaze or dusted with additional powdered sugar.
- This lemon pound cake freezes like a dream. Bake and cool completely then wrap in freezer wrap. You can store it frozen for up to 3 months.
- This cake will keep in an airtight container either at room temperature or chilled in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. As with any cake, chilling will lengthen the shelf life.
How to Serve Lemon Pound Cake
- In the warm Summer months, pound cake can be served simply with berries and cream or a scoop of ice cream. In the cooler months of the year, perhaps a warm fruit compote or a rich dollop of homemade custard.
- This lemon cake needs no additional embellishments and can be served all on its own.
- It’s also delicious topped with lemon curd or pastry cream.
- This cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled.
- It also freezes beautifully. Cut the cake into desired size slices or quarter the cake. This is especially helpful when individual or smaller servings are warranted.
More Southern Pound Cake Recipes to Make
Pound cakes come in a plethora of flavors, and are championed in the South as a favorite dessert option. The serving opportunities with pound cakes are endless, and they’re always a crowd pleaser. More pound cake recipes to try:
- My recipes for Million Dollar Pound Cake never disappoints.
- This decadent Pecan Praline Buttermilk Pound Cake is moist and tender to the very last forkful.
- Banana Pudding Cream Cheese Pound Cake remains a fan favorite and one more way to enjoy one of my all time favorite Southern desserts.
- Scratch made Orange Pound Cake.
- Buttermilk Pound Cake drizzled with buttermilk glaze.
- White Chocolate Cherry Cream Cheese Pound Cake is a delightful way to say “I love you!”
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins for cake on the run from Recipe Girl.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Pick-up your own copy of Melissa’s Southern Cookbook- Tried and True Family Recipes on Amazon today
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3.4 oz box instant lemon pudding
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a tube pan. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, lemon pudding mix, salt and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high, cream together butter, granulated sugar and vanilla. Beat for 3 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix on low speed until fully combined then increase the speed to medium, beating for 30 seconds or just until fully combined.
- Use a large nonstick spatula or spoon to stir in the fresh lemon zest by hand. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wired rack for 15 minutes then remove the outer ring from the pan. Cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, lemon juice and melted butter. Drizzle over the cooled cake. Alternately, dust with powdered sugar.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled.