The burst of lemon flavor combined with a tender crumb, will rank this Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake an all-time favorite. Serve it drizzled with a tangy lemon glaze or a simple dusting of powdered sugar, for an unforgettable dessert.
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
This amazing Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake is a recipe from my best selling Melissa's Southern Cookbook (Affiliate) When I began the process of writing my cookbook, it was truly a labor of love. In it, I share some of my own family's favorite recipes, and reflect on the Southern cook's from generations before me, who inspired my love of cooking and baking. Lemon pound cake is one of the classic cake flavors found all throughout the South, and I knew I had to include it.
Other Pound Cake Recipes to Make
Pound cakes come in a plethora of flavors, and are championed in the South as a favorite dessert option. The serving opportunities with pound cakes are endless, and they're always a crowd pleaser. My recipes for Million Dollar Pound Cake, Pecan Praline Buttermilk Pound Cake and Banana Pudding Cream Cheese Pound Cake remain fan favorites here in the MSSK recipe index.
Tips for Serving Lemon Pound Cake
- In the warm Summer months, pound cake can be served simply with berries and cream or a scoop of ice cream. In the cooler months of the year, perhaps a warm fruit compote or a rich dollop of homemade custard.
- This lemon cake needs no additional embellishments and can be served all on it's own.
- It's also delicious topped with lemon curd or pastry cream.
- This cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled.
- It also freezes beautifully. Cut the cake into desired size slices or quarter the cake. This is especially helpful when individual or smaller servings are warranted.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Pick-up your own copy of Melissa's Southern Cookbook- Tried and True Family Recipes on Amazon today
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3.4 oz box instant lemon pudding
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 2 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a tube pan. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, lemon pudding mix, salt and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high, cream together butter, granulated sugar and vanilla. Beat for 3 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix on low speed until fully combined then increase the speed to medium, beating for 30 seconds or just until fully combined.
- Use a large nonstick spatula or spoon to stir in the fresh lemon zest by hand. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wired rack for 15 minutes then remove the outer ring from the pan. Cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, lemon juice and melted butter. Drizzle over the cooled cake. Alternately, dust with powdered sugar.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled.