Cinnamon Rolls - It's a rare occasion that my husband cooks. He's far more comfortable at the grill than participating in the indoor sport of cooking. One of my son's wanted cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and he felt inspired to put these simple rolls together and surprised us all! They were very tasty, and thought I would share how he made them with you all, too.
Yes I know they're drowning in glaze but not one complaint was heard. Not one. We thinned out the glaze a bit more than called for in the recipe, so never fear. If your cinnamon roll fans love glaze, double it and they'll be happy as can be. Serve these warm straight from the oven while the glaze is still gooey. Finger licking is encouraged.
- 1 [13.4 oz] classic refrigerated pizza dough or 1 [1 lb] homemade pizza dough
- ½ cup butter divided
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp ground cinnamon [more or less to your taste]
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- For the icing: [doubled pictured]
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream or half & half
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 9 non stick metal baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Press the dough into roughly a 9 x 13 inch rectangle. Carefully spread with 6 Tbsp of softened butter.
- In a small bowl, toss together both sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Start with 1 Tbsp of cinnamon adding more to your taste.
- Sprinkle over the butter, reserving a couple of Tbsp to sprinkle on top of the rolls in the pan. Begin to roll, starting at the widest side.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 12 equal pieces. Arrange side by side in the pan.
- Melt the remaining butter and pour over the rolls. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and cinnamon blend on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden and puffy.
- To make the cream cheese glaze:
- In the microwave, warm the cream cheese with the cream or half & half in 15 second increments. Stir until blended. Repeat until pourable.
- Add the powdered sugar, mixing until completely smooth.
- Pour over the hot cinnamon rolls.