These Pepperoni Pizza Rolls feature layers of pepperoni, a flavorful pizza sauce and plenty of mozzarella cheese for an epic handheld treat.
Easy Pepperoni Pizza Rolls Recipe
Easy handheld goodies like these pizza rolls are a simple and delicious way to feed the family. They're a grab-n-go option equally suitable for those days the family just wants to graze. We have those days rather often, not by choice, but the fact that we all tend to go in different directions some days. It's a testament to our busy lives. These can be made and then reheated when my boys come in avoiding the drive thru.
Helpful Tips for Making Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- This recipe was developed and designed to be simple hence the use of refrigerated pizza dough. It works like a charm.
- The semi-homemade pizza sauce is rich and flavorful. The addition of tomato paste helps it to maintain it's texture and not melt completely while the pizza dough bakes.
- I use a full can of tomato paste for the sauce making it thick and full bodied. You can start with half the amount, then adjust to suit your own taste, if desired.
- These are best made in a muffin pan so they'll maintain their shape while baking.
- These pizza rolls reheat beautifully in the microwave, when making them in advance. You can also reheat them on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven for a few minutes.
- You could make these vegetarian without sliced pepperoni or swap out cooked Italian sausage in place of pepperoni.
Why Make the Sauce?
Because this recipe is so simple, it's nice to embellish the sauce to expand the flavor profile. It can be made in advance, placed into an air tight container and chilled until you're ready to assemble the rolls. While the rolls bake, warm the sauce on the stovetop or in the microwave and serve it on the side for dipping.
Other Pizza Inspired Recipes to Add to the Menu
Pizza in any and every form, seems to show up on our menu quite often. What's not to love, right? Teenagers in the house sometimes dictate what's served, and I can say that pizza is never a wrong choice. Other pizza inspired recipes to add to your rotation:
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- 1 13.4 oz can classic pizza dough i.e. Pillsbury
- 3 cups pizza sauce
- 1 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley divided
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 3.5 oz package sliced pepperoni quartered
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 16 cups of two standard size muffin pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- On a non stick surface or silicone baking mat, unroll pizza dough pressing into a 16 x 12 inch rectangle.
- In a medium size bowl, use a whisk or an electric mixer to blend together pizza sauce, tomato paste, 1 ½ tablespoon parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic, onion powder and red pepper flakes until fully combined. It should look thick.
- Spread ⅔ cup from end to end of crust. Sprinkle with 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Arrange pepperoni over cheese.
- Top pepperoni with remaining mozzarella then sprinkle with 2 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Begin rolling from the widest edge ending seam side down. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 even portions. Place one in each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle tops with reserved Parmesan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Meanwhile, simmer remaining pizza sauce in a small saucepan just until heated through and blended. Keep warm until serving.
- Garnish pizza rolls with reserved parsley and serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping.
- I use a full can of tomato paste for the sauce making it thick and full bodied. You can start with half, then adjust the amount to suit your own taste, if desired.