Slow Cooked Chicken And Dumplings is such a universal comfort food! I was raised on completely “made from scratch” dumplings, and at times make them that way myself. However, with all of our lives being so busy, I decided to develop this stress free slow cooked version so we could still enjoy this on days I need to be free to do other things.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings
Servings: 6 servings
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts [6-8 oz. each]
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken with herbs soup
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of celery soup
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 frozen biscuits thawed and quartered
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional veggies: See Cook's note
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- Cut the chicken breasts once through the middle, then into large chunks and arrange in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soups, broth, melted butter, onion and seasonings. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove the lid, stir and increase the temperature to the high setting.
- Cut the thawed biscuits into quarters then drop them into the slow cooker. Stir into the broth.
- Replace cover and cook for an additional 1-1 1/2 hours.
I prefer to add the cooked vegetables at the end of cooking, so, the chicken and dumplings won't get lost in the flavor of the vegetables. You can skip this optional step and enjoy vegetables on the side if you wish. To prepare optional vegetables: In a stove top pan saute 1/2 cup each of chopped celery and onion with one cup of carrots in 2 Tbsp butter until cooked and golden. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Remove the lid and test the dumplings to be certain they're completely cooked. Stir the sauteed vegetables into the chicken and dumplings and serve immediately.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!