This Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings recipe is the easy way to make comfort food on a hectic day. To make it, you assemble everything in the slow cooker and let it do the rest.
How to Make Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
I was raised on completely made from scratch dumplings, and at times make chicken and dumplings that way myself. However, with all of our lives being so busy I wanted to develop this low stress slow cooked version so we could still enjoy comfort food on busy days.
- For this slow cooker version of chicken and dumplings, I use frozen buttermilk biscuits for ease of preparation. Doing so, makes this classic dish accessible for cooks of all skill levels and quick to put together. You can use any brand of frozen biscuits that you enjoy.
- What chicken is best for making crockpot chicken and dumplings? This recipe utilizes boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into large chunks.
- What's poultry seasoning made of? Poultry seasoning can vary slightly on what's included. It's typically a blend of ground sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, nutmeg and black pepper. Some blends may also include small amounts of clove, celery seed or celery salt that are all ground into a powder and blended together. It has a distinctive flavor that complements chicken and turkey.
- Can I use another kind of canned soup for this easy chicken and dumplings recipe? If you can't find chicken with herbs you can use classic cream of chicken soup.
- Can I make my own biscuits for easy chicken and dumplings? Yes, of course. I've included a homemade buttermilk biscuits recipe at the end of the recipe card, if you prefer making your own.
- Are vegetables optional for chicken and dumplings? Slow cooking the chicken makes it tender and flavorful and when you add the sautéed vegetables at the end, it becomes a one pot meal. Vegetables are optional but adding them turns this humble dish into a complete meal.
- How do I reheat chicken and dumplings? You can reheat chicken and dumplings on the stovetop on low heat or in the microwave in individual servings.
More Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to Make
Is a crockpot and a slow cooker the same thing? Those terms are used interchangeably, yes. They both use a low and slow cooking technique that works for inexpensive cuts of meat making them tender and flavorful. A few other slow cooker chicken recipes you may like to try:
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken is delicious served over rice.
- Better than take out Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken.
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables is a one dish meal.
- Slow Cooked Applewood Cider Chicken for Fall dinners.
- Slow Cooker Extra Creamy Chicken and Noodles for the pasta fans at your table.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings
Servings: 6 servings
- 5 6 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts [6-8 oz. each]
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of chicken with herbs soup
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 8 frozen biscuits thawed and quartered
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional veggies: See Cook's note
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart oval your slow cooker or similar with cooking spray. Set on the low setting.
- Cut the chicken breasts once through the middle, then into large chunks and arrange in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soups, broth, melted butter, onion and seasonings. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, uncover, stir well and increase the temperature to the high setting.
- Cut thawed biscuits into quarters then drop them into the slow cooker. Stir into the broth.
- Replace lid and lock to seal. Cook for an additional 1-1 ½ hours.
- Uncover let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.
- I prefer to add the cooked vegetables at the end of cooking, so, the chicken and dumplings won't get lost in the flavor of the vegetables. You can skip this optional step and enjoy vegetables on the side if you wish.
- To prepare optional vegetables: In a stove top pan saute ½ cup each of chopped celery and onion with one cup of carrots in 2 tablespoon butter until cooked and golden. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Remove the lid and test the dumplings to be certain they're completely cooked. Stir the sauteed vegetables into the chicken and dumplings and serve immediately.
- Make your own Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits recipe.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 1557mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3910IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Melissa, can you roll the biscuits out and cut them up to make thinner dumplings? Any idea how long you'd cook them if you did it this way?
You certainly could make them thinner should you prefer it, no problem. Since I make this recipe just as written, you may need to check them 30 minutes before the end of cooking to see if they're done. I haven't tested it so, I can't tell you with certainty how much less time otherwise. This may be one of those trial and error moments in cooking. If you try it, let us know how it goes!
Where is the recipe for homemade dumplings?
If you prefer you can use this recipe Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings.
Where do you find the frozen Grands Southern Style Biscuits?
I find them in the frozen section of all our local grocery stores including Walmart and Target.