Slow Cooked Beef Stew
Tips for Making Beef Stew in Slow Cooker
- This recipe was made in a 6 quart slow cooker so, the times are adjusted to that shape appliance. You may cook this in any size slow cooker that you have. Know how your appliance cooks and adjust the cook time accordingly.
- I know the appeal of slow cooking is no fuss. I completely understand I feel the same way. That said, there is a depth of flavor that comes with taking a few minutes to brown the beef prior to slow cooking.
- This recipe is made with chuck roast. You may, of course, use stew beef, if preferred.
- Serve this beef stew alone with garlic bread for dipping, over a slice of buttered cornbread, or with a scoop of saffron rice as pictured. This beef stew is also delicious served with a generous helping of cheddar grits.
Browning the Meat Adds Depth of Flavor
I recommend when you’re preparing this stew that you go the extra mile and brown the meat cubes prior to slow cooking the stew. It’s well worth the small amount of effort and adds a layer of flavor you’d miss otherwise. I like to serve this with a scoop of rice, and a sprinkle of parsley, but, a close favorite would also be to serve it over egg noodles, I always have a basket of crusty garlic bread to dip in the rich gravy.
See it at Whatcha Crockin’ here
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper
- Serving Set
- Insulated Slow Cooker Travel Case and Carrier
Slow Cooked Beef Stew
- 3 lb cubed chuck roast or stew beef
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp meat or steak seasoning [*See cook's note] i.e. Meat Magic
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 rib celery thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp meat or steak seasoning blend [*See cook's note]
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne [optional]
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced into wedges
- 10 small red potatoes halved
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- garlic salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, meat/steak seasoning, garlic salt and paprika.
- Place cubed beef in a large plastic storage bag with flour mixture. Shake until coated on all sides. Coat the pieces of meat with the seasoned flour on all sides.
- In a large skillet, brown flour coated beef in a few drizzles of olive oil over medium-heat on all sides. Work in batches if needed. Arrange the meat onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- To the pan add the Worcestershire sauce to deglaze the pan scraping any brown bits off the bottom. Add mushrooms, celery, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of meat seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme and cayenne, if using.
- Add salt and black pepper to your taste. Scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan, then add 1 1/2 cups of beef stock. Mix well, remove from the heat.
- Arrange the carrots and onion over meat cubes in slow cooker. Season additional garlic salt, black pepper and meat/steak seasoning.
- Pour the broth and mushrooms over the top. Place lid firmly on top.
- Cook on high for 1 hour then add the red potatoes. Continue to cook on high for an additional 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10. Stir well before serving.
- Serve hot with rice, grits or cornbread, if desired.