These two-bite Cream Cheese Sausage Balls are a mainstay on appetizer menus in the South. You can enjoy them as a starter as well as breakfast and brunch with a variety of sauces for dipping.
Easy Cream Cheese Sausage Balls Recipe
Sausage balls are a favorite in the South for appetizers and small bites. You’ll almost always see them around the holidays but they’re a fabulous option for brunch or game day snacking, too. To make Cream Cheese Sausage Balls with cheddar cheese: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Sausage – You can use spicy or mild pork breakfast sausage.
- Cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese will give the most flavor.
- Cream Cheese – Chive and onion flavored cream cheese adds more flavor than plain cream cheese.
- Mustard – Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard expands the flavor without dominating.
- Biscuit Mix – You can use Bisquick or a private store brand of biscuit mix that you enjoy.
- Instructions: In a large mixing bowl use an electric mixer on low speed to mix together sausage, biscuit mix, shredded cheese, cream cheese, Dijon mustard and granulated garlic until fully combined. (A dough hook works best.) Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a meatball scoop to divide the mixture rolling into 1 inch balls. Arrange on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 22-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- You can serve these as is or with honey mustard, sweet hot mustard, barbecue sauce or maple syrup on the side for dipping.
How to Make the BEST Cream Cheese Sausage Balls Recipe
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, cheese grater, meatball scoop, hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, large spoon or spatula and sheet pans for baking.
- You can mix the ingredients together by hand or using a mixer on low speed. I find that a dough nook works best. If you mix them by hand patience is key but it will come together.
- Since sausage is the star of these sausage balls I highly recommend using one that’s not terribly greasy. I use Jimmy Dean with consistently good results.
- What is Biscuit Mix? It’s a convenience item for making biscuits and pancakes found on the baking aisle. There are many brands and you may already have one that you enjoy. If so, it’s perfectly fine to use that product. I used Bisquick for this recipe.
- Biscuit mix and self rising flour aren’t the same thing. This recipe uses biscuit mix.
- You can use use mild, sage seasoned or spicy sausage for these two bite balls.
- You could use one 8 ounce block of plain cream cheese in place of onion and chive cream cheese. The onion flavored cream cheese adds more flavor and expands the flavor profile overall.
- Sharp cheddar cheese will give the best flavor. If you rpfer, the same amount of cheese in mild or medium cheddar, colby jack cheese or even pepper jack cheese could be used.
- After making the sausage ball mixture, it’s important to chill it so the cream cheese will firm. This prevents them from spreading while baking much like a cookie dough. The flavor will be the same but the shape would be flatter.
- You can bake Sausage Balls and cool then package and freeze. To reheat: Bake from frozen in a preheated 350°F oven on a sheet pan for 10-15 minutes just until heated through.
- Store baked Sausage Balls chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, in a 350°F oven or air fryer just until heated through.
- Store baked Sausage Balls frozen for up to 3 months.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes to Make
- Shredded Zucchini Fritters made on the stovetop.
- These loaded Tachos are a crowd pleaser!
- Serve these crispy Coconut Shrimp with cocktail sauce or Asian chile sauce for dipping.
- Easy Corn Salsa for dipping with tortilla chips or on top of salads, tacos and more.
- Make Potato Skins and watch them go.
- This BLT Dip is great for holiday gatherings, picnics and game day snacking.
- Jalapeno Popper Puffs made with crescent rolls.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- 1 lb spicy or mild pork breakfast sausage i.e. Jimmy Dean
- 2 1/4 cups baking mix i.e. Bisquick or similar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened but still cold
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- sweet hot mustard, maple syrup, honey mustard, chipotle barbecue sauce for dipping (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl use an electric mixer on low speed to mix together sausage, biscuit mix, shredded cheese, cream cheese, mustard and granulated garlic until fully combined. (A dough hook works best.) Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a meatball scoop to divide the mixture and roll into 1 inch balls and place side by side on baking sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with honey mustard, sweet hot mustard, barbecue sauce or maple syrup for dipping.