These loaded Tachos are a variation of nachos that features crispy tater tots in place of tortilla chips for the base. They're loaded with the best of classic nacho toppings and can be served as an appetizer or a small plate main course.
Easy Tachos Recipe
How do you make Tachos? This recipe begins with frozen tater tots. Use your favorite brand and cook them according to the package directions until crispy and golden. While the tater tots are baking, make the taco meat filling cooking ground beef with onion and seasonings per the recipe. Once the tater tots are done, sprinkle them with plenty of shredded cheese and broil in the oven just until it's melted. I like to then build the nachos on a separate serving platter or pan creating layers of cheesy tater tots, taco meat, diced red onion and tomatoes, jalapeno slices, melted queso and sour cream. End with as many other toppings as you like then dig in!
How to Make the Best Tachos Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Tachos: Frozen tater tots, ground beef, onion, olive oil, taco seasoning, lemon pepper, granulated garlic or minced fresh garlic cloves, taco sauce, warm queso, queso quesadilla cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, red onion and sour cream.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A rimmed sheet pan, a large serving platter or cast iron skillet, sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, large spoon and cheese grater.
- You can use ground chorizo, ground turkey or ground chicken for the meat layer in this recipe.
- You can use your favorite brand of prepared queso dip for the melted queso layer. I find that one cup is an ample amount for drizzling on top. You can have more ready for serving on the side for those who might want to give their tachos a heavier drizzle.
- Shredded queso quesadilla cheese melts beautifully. You can also use pepper jack, colby jack, monterey jack or even cheddar, if that's your preference.
- The taco meat mixture can be prepared one day in advance and reheated just before assembling the Tachos to save time.
- Alternate toppings: You could add corn, black beans, pinto beans, black olives, lettuce or guacamole to the top of these tachos. You could also make your own pico de gallo.
- I like to transfer the tater tots from the sheet pan and layer them with the toppings on a separate platter or serving dish. If you prefer, you can serve them straight from the pan and assemble everything on the pan the tater tots were baked on.
- Tachos are best made and enjoyed fresh. If you have any leftover, chill in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in a 425°F oven just until heated through. Remove any sour cream prior to warming.
- You can also reheat at 375°F in an air fryer for a couple of minutes just until crisped.
More Tater Tots Recipes to Make
- These easy Sheet Pan Breakfast Stacks can be personalized to suit your taste.
- If bacon is your thing check out my recipe for Loaded Tater Tots.
- Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole is topped with crispy crowns and cheese.
- Start the day with this Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole.
- The family will flip for this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole.
- Air Fryer Tater Tots from The Spruce Eats.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tachos (Tater Tot Nachos)
- 1 32 oz package tater tots
- 1 lb ground beef
- olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning (Or one 1 ounce packet of taco seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 2 cloves minced garlic)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 cup taco sauce (mild,medium or hot your preference)
- 2 cups shredded queso quesadilla cheese, colby jack or pepper jack cheese (Your preference)
- 1 cup warm queso
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes finely diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tater tots on pan and bake for 25 minutes or per package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large 12 inch skillet cook ground beef and onion over medium high heat in a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the ground beef add taco seasoning, salt, lemon pepper, garlic and taco sauce. Simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. (Or until tater tots are ready)
- Once tater tots are crispy and golden, sprinkle the tater tots with shredded cheese. Increase the oven temperature to broil and broil just until the cheese melts.
- To assemble: Use a spatula to transfer cheesy tater tots to a serving platter. Create layers using ½ tater tots, ½ taco meat, ⅓ cup queso. Repeat. (You can also layer in thirds)
- Drizzle the top with reserved ⅓ cup warm queso and garnish with diced tomatoes, onion and jalapenos. Dollop with sour cream and serve any remaining on the side.
- Serve immediately.
Karen Lynn Hill
This TACHOSrecipe ooks great I love to try new recipes
Thanks so much!