This Crock Pot Corn Casserole falls into the category of potluck classics. It's one of those dump and mix side dish recipes that can be made in a slow cooker or in the oven with great success. It's the ideal side dish certain to compliment a myriad of entrees. Making it in a crock pot allows you to free up the oven for the rest of the meal.
Crock Pot Corn Casserole
This easy corn casserole is truly comfort food personified. The oven version has been a standard at potlucks in the South for eons. It's such a simple dish to assemble, and the ingredients are readily available in any grocery store. I really love making it in my slow cooker on busy oven days when I'm entertaining or at the holidays when there are so many other dishes that need oven time. It maintains it's moisture while slow cooking and the texture is soft and fluffy. I also have another recipe similar to this one that utilizes broccoli. Checkout my broccoli cheese cornbread recipe, too.
Tips For Making Crock Pot Corn Casserole
- You can use any brand of cornbread muffin mix you like. Jiffy is a bit sweeter than other brands like Martha White so, adjust the amount of sugar accordingly. If you use the sweeter of the two, the batter may be sweet enough without adding any additional sugar.
- While cooking, this corn casserole will produce condensation on the lid. The paper towels will prevent it from dropping down onto the dish while it's cooking.
- After the corn casserole has finished cooking you can hold it on the warm setting, if needed. Keep the paper towels and the lid on top to prevent condensation from dripping back into the finished casserole.
- If you opt to use the oven method, there's no need to cover it while baking. Add the cheese during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Other Corn Recipes to Add to the Menu
- Stovetop Southern Style Creamed Corn
- Easy Roasted Mexican Corn
- Roasted Sweet Corn Salsa
- Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Bread
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Stainless Steel Whisk
- Universal Slow Cooker Lid Knob with Spoon Rest
- Insulated Carrier
- 6 Quart Oval Slow Cooker
Crock Pot Corn Casserole
- 1 15 oz can creamed corn
- 1 16 oz package frozen sweet corn thawed
- 1 8.5 oz box cornbread and muffin mix
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- chopped chives or green onion for garnishing
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. (May use a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker, just adjust the cooking time)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together creamed corn, corn, cornbread mix, sour cream, butter, eggs, sugar and nutmeg. Add 1 cup cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into slow cooker, stir gently just to make sure corn is evenly distributed. Place doubled paper towels over the opening and place the lid firmly on top.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until set and a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Top with remaining cheese and let stand uncovered for 5 minutes prior to serving. Garnish as desired.
Can a layer if chili with meat and beans be put in the middle?
I haven't tested that but if you try it, let us know how it goes!
What kind of corn bread mix do you use in your corn casserole?
You can use Martha White, Jiffy or your favorite brand.