This easy Crockpot Apple Dump Cake takes minutes to assemble. Just before serving, top it with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch ganache to gild the lily.
Crockpot Apple Dump Cake
Dump cakes have been around for eons and are known as much for the endless flavor combinations as ease of preparation. Many apple versions start with a vanilla or golden butter cake mix and they’re super yummy. For me, I can’t imagine what would be better with apples than spice so, it’s standard for me to make this cake using only a spice flavored cake mix. It encompasses and the warm and cozy flavors of fall with no fuss assembly.
Dump Cakes are the Epitome of Easy Desserts
Dump cakes earned their name due to the simple process it takes to make one. Basically, everything is dumped into a pan and baked. In this case, the slow cooker does the heavy lifting.
- One advantage of making it this way is, you can assemble and have it baking while you have dinner. By the time it’s ready, you’re likely ready for dessert.
- Use a quality pie filling for the best result.
- The butterscotch ganache adds another dimension to this easy apple cake. It can be made in advance, chilled and rewarmed, if desired. It will solidify when cooled.
- You can also prepare this in a conventional oven. Bake in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
Other Dump Cake Recipes to Try
Dump cakes come in many flavor variations. I have another Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake recipe also made in a crock pot that’s super delish. You may also enjoy this Blueberry Dump Cake recipe from The Slow Roasted Italian.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crockpot Apple Dump Cake with Butterscotch Ganache
- 2 20 oz cans apple pie filling
- 1 15.4 oz box Spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butterscotch baking chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread apple pie filling on bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix toss together cake mix, butter, egg and pecans. Sprinkle over apple pie filling.
- Cover opening with doubled paper towels, place lid firmly on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Uncover, let stand 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, in a small saucepan melt together butterscotch chips with heavy cream over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue until completely smooth adding additional cream to thin to your preference, if desired.
- Serve apple dump cake warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream drizzled with butterscotch ganache.