This easy Crockpot Apple Dump Cake takes minutes to assemble. Just before serving, top it with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch ganache to gild the lily.
Easy Crockpot Apple Dump Cake Recipe
What is a dump cake? Dump cakes have been around for eons and are known as much for the endless flavor combinations as ease of preparation. Many apple versions start with a vanilla or golden butter cake mix and they’re super yummy. For me, I can’t imagine what would be better with apples than cinnamon and nutmeg so, it’s standard for me to make this cake using only a spice flavored cake mix. It encompasses and the warm and cozy flavors of fall with no fuss assembly.
How to Make the Best Crockpot Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Dump Cakes are the epitome of easy desserts. They earned their name due to the simple process it takes to make them. Basically, everything is dumped into a pan and baked. In this case, the crockpot or slow cooker does the heavy lifting. One advantage of making dump cake this way is, you can assemble the ingredients and have it baking while you have dinner. By the time it’s finished baking, you’re likely ready for dessert.
- What you’ll need to make a Crockpot Apple Dump Cake: Canned apple pie filling, spice flavored cake mix, butter, eggs, pecans, butterscotch flavored baking chips and heavy cream.
- A 6 quart oval slow cooker is used for this recipe. You can use any similar size crockpot for making apple dump cake.
- You can use walnuts in place of the pecans, if desired.
- The terms slow cooker and crockpot are used interchangeably. Whatever the brand of slow cooking appliance that you own will work for this recipe. Adjust the amount of cooking time based on how your appliance performs.
- The purpose of the paper towels is to absorb the condensation that forms on the lid and prevent it from dropping back onto the cake.
- Use a quality brand of pie filling for the best result.
- The butterscotch ganache adds another dimension to this easy apple cake. It can be made in advance, chilled and rewarmed, if desired. It will solidify when cooled so reheat it gently in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat. You could also use a warm caramel ice cream sauce and turn it into a caramel apple dump cake.
- How do you bake this Apple Dump Cake Recipe? You can also prepare this in a conventional oven. Bake in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
More Southern Style Cakes and Dump Cake Recipes to Make
Cakes are a must no matter the occasion and being an avid baker, there are no shortage of options in the recipe index. More cakes and dump cake recipes to try:
- I have another Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake recipe also made in a crock pot that’s super delish.
- A glorious three layer Italian Cream Cake is dressed to impress.
- Upside down Slow Cooked German Chocolate Cake is drizzled with chocolate and the coconut pecan frosting is on the bottom!
- Mile High three layer Banana Pudding Layer Cake.
- You may also enjoy this Blueberry Dump Cake recipe from The Slow Roasted Italian.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Crockpot Apple Dump Cake (with Butterscotch Ganache)
- 2 20 oz cans apple pie filling
- 1 15.4 oz box Spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butterscotch baking chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread apple pie filling on bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix toss together cake mix, butter, egg and pecans. Sprinkle over apple pie filling.
- Cover opening with doubled paper towels, place lid firmly on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Uncover, let stand 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, in a small saucepan melt together butterscotch chips with heavy cream over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue until completely smooth adding additional cream to thin to your preference, if desired.
- Serve apple dump cake warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream drizzled with butterscotch ganache.