Deli Style New Potato Salad
- 3 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 3 lbs new [red] potatoes cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups real mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup low fat half & half
- 3 Tbsp whole grain deli style mustard with horseradish
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1-2 tsp sugar [more or less to taste]
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 small purple onion finely diced
- 4 chopped chives [reserve 1 Tbsp for garnishing]
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- Optional garnish: crumbled bacon
- Place the eggs into a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for for 10-12 minutes then peel, chop and set aside.
- Wash and quarter the potatoes, leaving the peel intact. Cut each quarter into equal pieces. Boil in salted water in a large pot, until fork tender. [about 12-15 minutes]
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and seasonings until combined.
- Cook the potatoes until fork tender, drain well.
- Toss gently with the dressing and chopped boiled eggs, then place into the fridge.
- Allow the salad to cool for around 1 hour then taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed. Cover loosely and store in the fridge for several hours until well chilled.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped chives before serving. (Also crumbled bacon, if using)
I recommend that you allow warm salads to completely cool in the mixing bowl before placing them into the serving dish. Warm potatoes tend to absorb the dressing, and it may need adjusting prior to serving.