Some days it’s all about the sides at our house and dishes like this Loaded Baked Potato Salad top the list of fan favorites. Tender new potatoes, smoky bacon and green onions are tossed with a tangy Ranch seasoned homemade dressing. Complete the flavor palate by throwing in a heaping helping of sharp cheddar cheese that practically turns this salad into a meal all on it’s own. Serve it warm or chilled as the featured side dish with your next grilled steak, chicken or pork then sit back and prepare for the “oohs” and “aahs.”
It’s not surprising how much we all love potatoes. Much like rice, they’re a blank slate that can be transformed in so many ways. Checkout these fun facts about potatoes from the North Carolina Potato Association:
- The average American eats 142 pounds of potatoes a year or almost 365 potatoes per person–that’s an average of a potato a day.
- Potatoes are grown commercially in every state from Florida to Alaska, yielding over 30 billion pounds of potatoes each year.
- One serving of potatoes provides 45% of the recommended Daily Value of vitamin C.
- The potato is the second most consumed food in the U.S.–trailing only after milk products.
- Contrary to the common misconception, potatoes are not high in calories. One medium sized potato contains 110 calories, while a one-cup serving of rice has 225 calories and a cup of pasta has 155.
- Many doctors recommend bananas to patients who require a good source of potassium. One potato supplies 610 mg. of potassium while a banana contains 450 mg.
- Eat your potatoes with their peels on–a wealth of vitamins; minerals and fiber are found in the peel. The peel also contains the flavonoid, quercitin, and chlorogenic acid–antioxidants that may protect the body against certain types of cancers and heart disease.
- One medium potato with skin contains three grams, or twelve percent of the recommended daily intake for fiber.
This scrumptious loaded baked potato salad gives us one more amazing way to celebrate our love of this awesome tuber. Whether you enjoy them baked smashed, mashed, or fried they’re always a happy sight to see on the dinner table.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 3 lb small red potatoes quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream or unflavored Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 0.4-oz package dry buttermilk Ranch dressing mix (i.e. Hidden Valley)
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the quartered new potatoes in a medium-size saucepan and cover with water. Add 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain in a colander and allow to cool for 5 minutes while you make the dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, dry Ranch salad dressing mix, lemon pepper and black pepper.
- Add the potatoes, bacon and green onion. Toss to coat. (Reserve 2 Tbsp each of bacon and green onion for garnishing)
- Chill for about 20-30 minutes then add 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Serve warm or chilled garnished with reserved bacon, green onion and shredded cheese.