These glorious Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles can be served for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert. Topped with fresh berries, chocolate syrup and whipped cream, they’re a bonafide indulgence.
Easy Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
The sight of a stack of waffles is sheer joy in my world. While we love regular buttermilk waffles for breakfast there’s something about taking them to another level with cocoa and chocolate chips in the batter.
How to Make the BEST Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
- Kitchen tools you’ll need to make homemade Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles: All purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, large eggs, semi sweet chocolate chips, melted butter, vanilla extract and cream of tarter to stabilize the egg whites. You’ll also need chocolate syrup, berries and whipped cream for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large bowl, a medium bowl, hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, waffle iron, ladle and knife or offset spatula to loosen the waffle from the waffle iron.
- You can make these waffles into any shape you like, depending on your appliance. A standard waffle iron may yield more servings.
- Using Dutch process or Hershey’s special dark cocoa will lend a more intense chocolate flavor. That said, you can make these waffles using the same amount of regular unsweetened cocoa powder, if desired.
- Cooking time may vary a bit depending on the manufacturer of your appliance so, follow their recommendation about preheating the waffle iron and adjust the cooking time, if needed.
- If serving these waffles as a dessert, you may like to top them with homemade hot fudge sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- The purpose of separating the eggs and whipping the whites separately is for the airiness this technique adds to the batter.
- You can serve these topped with any of your favorite fresh berries such as strawberries, raspberries or even banana slices with a drizzle of chocolate or caramel syrup.
- You could also turn these into hot fudge sundaes adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a sprinkling of toasted nuts and maraschino cherries.
- Store Double Chocolate Waffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a non stick skillet over medium heat, in a 350°F air fryer or in a 375°F oven until heated through and crisped.
More Chocolate Lovers Recipes to Make
Chocolate is the universal symbol of love. I have plenty of options in the MSSK recipe index to satisfy your chocolate craving any time of day.
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Brownie Cupcakes begin with a boxed mix for ease of preparation.
- Double Fudge Mississippi Mud Cake is topped with toasted pecans, fudgy chocolate and mini marshmallows.
- Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce for drizzling on ice cream or use as a fondue with fresh fruit.
- Chocolate Fudge Layered Lush is a vintage dessert with at least a thousand names.
- Double Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins is the ideal excuse to eat cake for breakfast!
- You may also enjoy this Chocolate Coffee Cake recipe from Cake Whiz.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Special Dark or Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups whole buttermilk (well shaken, not fat free)
- 6 Tbsp salted butter melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate syrup for serving
- Preheat waffle iron per manufacturer's instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add chocolate chips, mixing until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients add to dry ingredients mixing just until fully moistened.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spray both sides of the preheated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in enough batter to lightly but fully cover the surface of the iron, about ¾ cup, depending on the size of the waffle iron.
- Close iron cooking until waffles have crisp and golden exteriors, about 5 minutes or according to manufacturer recommendation.
- Cook waffles in batches. Repeat spraying the waffle iron with cooking spray as needed. Keep waffles warm between batches in a 200°F oven in a single layer on a sheet pan, until serving.
- Serve immediately drizzled with chocolate syrup, whipped cream and fresh berries.