Kick start your morning with a stack of these Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles drizzled with maple syrup. Add a side of fresh berries and you've created a delicious start to the day.
Easy Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
Like you, we often have waffles as a special breakfast or brunch entrée, I have to tell you, we've come to love them just as much for dessert. When serving them for dessert, I like serving with a sprinkling of powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, whipped cream, and homemade chocolate fudge sauce with berries. They're also spectacular served topped with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of bourbon praline pecan sauce. So consider setting up a dessert waffle bar for a fun family or entertaining option using waffles.
How to Make the BEST Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles
- Ingredients you'll need to make Buttermilk Waffles: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, butter, cream of tarter, ground cinnamon, large eggs and vanilla extract.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Waffle iron, measuring cups and spoons, ladle, medium bowl, whisk and spatula or tongs for turning.
- Depending on the waffle iron you have, they can be made into any shape you like. Should you choose to use a larger waffle iron, the yield may vary.
- Whipping the egg white separately adds an airiness to the batter. Fold it gently into the pancake batter so it will stay fluffy.
- These waffles can be made, cooled and frozen then reheated from frozen in a toaster or on sheet pan in the oven.
- This recipe easily doubles if you're feeding a hungry crowd.
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand, make your own. To make your own buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white distilled vinegar to each cup of milk called for. Let stand on the counter for 5-8 minutes, then stir and proceed with the recipe.
More Breakfast Recipes to Make
We all know it's been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I admit, I sometimes prefer breakfast foods more at other meals and not specifically only in the morning. A few other breakfast and brunch recipes you may enjoy from the MSSK recipe index.
- These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes make a spectacular start to any day.
- Classic Belgian Waffles recipe.
- You can make brunch for everyone at one time with this recipe for Sheet Pan French Toast.
- You can eat Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles any time of day.
- There's nothing like a wedge of Sour Cream Coffee Cake with a cup of coffee or hot tea.
- Say "I love you" with these Double Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles drizzled with chocolate syrup.
- Churro Muffins from Real Housemoms
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk (well shaken, not fat free)
- 6 tablespoon salted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs separated
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
- maple syrup, jam, butter and assorted fresh fruit for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients mixing just until fully moistened.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spray both sides of the preheated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in enough batter to lightly cover the surface of the iron, about ½ to ¾ cup, depending on size.
- Close iron cooking until waffles have crisp and golden exteriors, about 5 minutes or according to manufacturer recommendation.
- Cook waffles in batches. Repeat spraying the waffle iron with cooking spray as needed. Keep waffles warm between batches in a 200°F oven in a single layer on a sheet pan, until serving.
- Serve immediately with butter, drizzled with syrup or with jam and fresh berries.