There are few things more decadent than a generous drizzle of homemade Hot Fudge Sauce on your favorite ice cream. Skip buying a jar at your local market and whip-up your own at home this year. Velvety smooth, this fudge sauce can also be drizzled on pound cake and berries, used as a dip for fruit or served as a dessert fondue year-round.
Easy Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
In the warm weather months it's super fun to set-up an ice cream sundae bar and let your family and friends build their own personalized treat to satisfy their sweet tooth. Not only during the summer, but it's also fun to provide a build-your-own sundae bar at a Superbowl halftime party.
How to Make the BEST Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Hot Fudge Sauce: Heavy cream, butter, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, bittersweet chocolate chips, almond extract, vanilla extract and salt.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A medium size saucepan, large heat safe silicone spatula or spoon for stirring, measuring cups and spoons, airtight container or mason jar for serving.
- This is one of those recipes that you need to go for the gold and use heavy cream. While half and half would work, it won't be quite the same or as rich as it is when using heavy cream.
- To set up a make your own sundae bar provide colorful inexpensive sundae bowls or use disposable bowls for easy clean-up.
- Plan on serving two basic flavors of ice cream and focus on the toppings for variety. Chocolate and vanilla will please everyone's taste.
- Offer a variety of toppings that go beyond nuts. Cereal, toasted coconut, potato chips, pretzel pieces, candy, cubed pound cake, crushed waffle cones and broken cookies.
- Include fruit choices that won't oxidize such as fresh berries, maraschino cherries, mandarin oranges etc.
- Don't forget whipped cream and rainbow jimmies for the crowning touch.
- You can use this hot fudge as a fondue with your favorite fruit, cakes and cookies for dipping as well.
- This hot fudge sauce can be made up to 2 weeks in advance and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator. Gently reheat in the microwave in desired amounts when you need a chocolate fix of your own.
More Easy Dessert Recipes to Make
- Bourbon Praline Pecan Sauce is rich and decadent.
- Light and airy Honeycomb candy is fun to make an eat!
- Treat your someone special to a homemade Fruit Bouquet with their favorite fruit.
- These two bite Pecan Balls never last long.
- Drizzle this homemade Salted Caramel Sauce over apple pie, pound cake or ice cream.
- These cute as a button Candy Coated Strawberry Carrots are a fun way to decorate cakes and cupcakes for spring.
- Another sauce you may like to add is this Strawberry Sauce from Will Cook for Smiles.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hot Fudge Sauce
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 12 oz package bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- n a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter and heavy cream together stirring constantly until it begins to bubble.
- Add the chocolate chips, granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Lower the heat to simmer and continue to cook stirring gently for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in both extracts.
- Allow the chocolate fudge sauce to cool slightly. Use immediately or store chilled in a tightly sealed jar for up to 2 weeks.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
It was easy to do and tasted delicious. Now I am going to make the coffee ice cream to go with it.
That's a perfect pairing, thanks so much!
It sounds good and easy. Thanks
I see vanilla in the ingredients list. Is it added along with the almond extract? Or can you decide between the two?
Hi Julie, sorry that wasn't clear. Add both of the extracts together, you don't have to choose unless you don't care for one or the other. In that instance, use one and double it.
Thanks for the extract clarification. My granddaughter and I are going to make this for her birthday celebration. Yum!
It's my pleasure, send her my very best Birthday wishes.
Is it heavy whipping cream that you use ?
You can use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream. There's only a slight difference and it won't matter for this fudge sauce.
I can't wait to try it this it looks delicious! Thanks for including my easy strawberry sauce! 🙂