This Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole features plenty of pepper jack cheese and green chiles to bring the heat and add a pop of flavor. Serve it with a salad and warm rolls and it's a filling and delicious meal.
Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
How do you make Chicken and Rice Casserole? For this recipe, begin with cooking the rice. Then place the milk, sour cream, cream cheese and seasonings in a blender and process until smooth to make the sauce. Mix the cooked rice, chicken, green chiles, green onions and cheese with the sauce then pour into the baking dish. Top it with more cheese and french fried onions and bake until bubbly.
How to Make the Best Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe: Uncooked long white long grain rice, water, butter, chicken bouillon, 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken, canned green chiles, green onions, shredded pepper jack cheese, milk, sour cream, granulated garlic, salt, onion powder, lemon pepper, french fried onions.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A large bowl, saucepan or rice cooker to make the rice, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, stand blender or immersion blender, 13 x 9 inch baking dish and cheese grater.
- You can used rotisserie chicken, poached chicken, grilled or baked chicken for this casserole.
- If you already have cooked rice you'll need around 4 ½ cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
- When choosing canned green chiles, you can use fire roasted, mild or hot depending on your personal preference.
- Alternate toppings you could use would be panko or seasoned breadcrumbs or crushed crackers. Toss with a couple of Tablespoons of melted butter before sprinkling on top.
- This recipe works great with low fat cream cheese, too.
- Store Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
What Rice is Best for Making Easy Chicken Rice Casserole
Can you use brown rice for Chicken and Rice Casserole? For this recipe long grain rice works best. It seems to hold up to the baking process and soaks in the flavor of the sauce. Brown rice could work in this recipe, but it would take longer to cook initially on the stovetop and you may need to adapt and increase the amount of liquid for the sauce.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti is sure to become a family favorite.
- Baked Ziti is perfect for Italian night at home.
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole with a salad and garlic bread is a feast.
- Cottage Pie is a delicious way to transform ground beef into a filling meal.
- Supreme Pizza Tortellini Bake is a one dish meal.
- Hoppin' John Casserole sans rice is topped with a cornbread crust.
- Cheesy Carrot Casserole from Belly Full.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice (i.e. Ben's Original)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken bouillion cubes
- 3 cups roughly chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese (reduced fat)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles (mild or hot) well drained
- 1 cup french fried onions
- chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a deep 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice, butter and chicken bouillon cubes. Mix well. Lower heat to medium low and simmer covered for 15 minutes or just until liquid is absorbed. Uncover, fluff with fork and set aside.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender, blend together milk, cream cheese, sour cream, granulated garlic, salt, lemon pepper and onion powder until fully blended.
- Place cooked rice, chicken, green onions, green chiles, 1 cup shredded cheese in a large mixing bowl. Add sauce, mix well. Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with reserved pepper jack cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden, bubbly around the edge and the center is set when the dish is gently shaken. (Check halfway through and lay foil on top to prevent over browning the onions, if needed)
- Let stand for 5 minutes then serve garnished with cilantro, if desired.
Can this br frozen?
You can freeze this casserole but make sure the rice isn't overcooked or it could become mushy.
Hi ! How much Chicken? A whole chicken??
That's difficult for me to say as chickens come in many sizes. You can use rotisserie chicken (already cooked) or roast your own split chicken breasts, or leftover baked chicken.
this sounds so good, but I don;t have a blender or immersion blender. Any other ideas? Thanks!
You could use a mixer to blend the ingredients.