This easy French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole is guaranteed to fill the hungry tummies at your table. It uses simple ingredients that are easy to find, and won’t break the bank.
Easy French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
This casserole is one of those easy to make recipes that families love to devour. The ingredients aren’t difficult to find and there’s a surprise use for french onion dip to make the sauce! To make it, you can prep all of the ingredients in advance and then have it ready to assemble in a snap. It makes the ideal hearty meal after a hectic day. How to make simple French Onion Chicken and Noodles:
- Pasta – Medium egg noodles.
- Onions – Unsalted butter and one large onion.
- Chicken – Rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken.
- Sauce – Prepared french onion dip, cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup and half and half.
- Seasonings and Herbs – Black pepper and fresh chives.
- Cheese – Shredded swiss, gruyere or monterey jack cheese.
- Topping – Grated Parmesan cheese and french fried onions.
How to Make the BEST French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Ingredients you’ll need: Medium width egg noodles, rotisserie chicken or any leftover roasted or poached chicken will work. A container of French Onion dip, you can use full fat or a lighter variation will do. Cream of chicken or cream of celery soup, one onion, butter, black pepper, fresh chives, Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese, grated Parmesan cheese and french fried onions.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large pasta pot or similar to cook the noodles, a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, a sharp knife and chopping board to chop the chicken and chives, a large mixing bowl and spatula for mixing everything together.
- Please note, the recipe doesn’t call for salt. There’s ample in the other ingredients that makes it unnecessary to add more. You can taste and adapt to suit your taste, of course.
- The bold flavor of French onions shines through in this casserole. While I don’t often cook with canned soup, it really does work in this recipe and makes assembly a snap.
- You can fully assemble this dish in advance, cover and chill until you’re ready to bake it. When doing so, you may opt to let it sit on the counter for fifteen minutes or so to warm to room temperature. You may need to adjust the baking time slightly.
- You can adapt using your favorite cheese, if desired.
- Store baked French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
Side Dishes to Serve with French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
Just in case you need inspiration, I’ve got you covered! A few side dishes you may like to add to serve alongside this casserole:
- Oven Roasted Asparagus drizzled with a balsamic glaze.
- Roasted Garden Vegetable Medley tossed with Parmesan cheese.
- Seven Layer Salad can be made in advance for a timesaver.
- Grilled Corn Salad is fresh and light.
- Broccoli Salad is a deli favorite.
- Dutch Oven Artisan White Bread is certain to impress the family.
- Homestyle Garlic Herb Bread is a quick and easy garlic bread when you’re in a time crunch.
More Noodle Casseroles to Make
Pasta is always a winning choice for dinner. It’s inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Other noodle recipes you may want to try:
- Ham and Noodle Gratin is a tasty way to turn leftover ham into a round two meal.
- Rich and hearty Beef and Noodles Casserole.
- Homemade Tuna Noodle Casserole is made with a homemade sauce.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Noodle Casserole hits all of the same flavor points for a flavorful take on a classic dish.
- Homemade Egg Noodles from Tastes Better from Scratch.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 12 oz package medium egg noodles cooked to al dente
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 16 oz container prepared french onion dip
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives plus additional for garnishing
- 2 cups shredded swiss, gruyere or monterey jack cheese divided use
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook noodles in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- While noodles cook, add butter and sliced onion to a skillet. Cook over medium heat until golden in color, stirring occasionally.
- To a medium size mixing bowl with add cooked noodles, onions, chicken, french onion dip, soup, half and half, black pepper, chives, 1 cup shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Pour into dish. (Test creaminess of dish, you may add 1/2 cup pasta water OR chicken broth to thin further)
- Sprinkle the top with reserved 1 cup shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through, golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately garnished with additional chives.
- This casserole works well using lighter dairy and lower fat soup.
- Due to the Parmesan cheese, it’s not necessary to add additional salt to this recipe. You can taste and adjust to your personal preference.
- You can also use a 16 oz jar of French Onion Dip found on the chip aisle.