This Easy Fruit Salad is topped with a drizzle of sweet homemade honey lime and lemon dressing. It features vibrant rainbow colors making it the ultimate light and fresh summer side dish or dessert.
Easy Fruit Salad Recipe
When fresh fruit is in abundance, it's the ideal opportunity to make a colorful fruit salad. The beauty of this kind of mixed fruit salad is that you have free creative license to swap out the variety of fruits for those your family enjoys most. If you're a frugal shopper like myself, shop the fruit that's on sale and create your own flavor profile around the items available in your market.
How to Make the Best Easy Fruit Salad Recipe
- Ingredients to make a homemade Fruit Salad: Strawberries, pineapple, blueberries (or blackberries or raspberries) seedless grapes, mandarin oranges or orange sections, kiwi, and bananas. You'll also need fresh mint for garnishing.
- Ingredients to make the honey Lime Lemon Dressing: Fresh lime juice and fresh lemon juice, granulated sugar, honey, lime zest and lemon zest.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar in the dressing depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
- You can be creative with the fresh fruit used in this recipe. Add cantaloupe or honey dew melon cubes or fresh mangoes in place of peaches.
- You could also swap out blackberries for blueberries or raspberries for strawberries. This is the kind of salad that gives you many options to shop what's in season and available at the grocery store. That often dictates what I put on our weekly menu and the same concept applies to the fruit in this salad.
- You can use canned mandarin oranges in place of orange sections, if desired.
- Do you have to peel kiwi? The short answer is, no. You can leave the skin on but if preferred, you can peel and then slice the kiwi or scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon prior to slicing.
- If you prefer, you can use all lime juice or only lemon juice for the dressing. You could also use orange juice. Should you opt for orange juice, replace the lemon zest with orange zest.
- I recommend preparing the fruit in advance and chilling it for a few hours prior to tossing with the dressing and serving. This will give the fruit time to chill and maintain it's texture. Once the dressing is added the fruit will naturally begin to macerate.
- This fruit salad is a delicious accompaniment alongside quiche for brunch, as a quick and healthy breakfast yogurt parfait, for between meal snacking. It also makes a tasty light dessert for your next family barbecue.
- Store leftover Easy Fruit Salad for up to 3 days chilled in the refrigerator.
More Easy Dessert Recipes to Make
Fresh fruit is not only good for you but makes the very best easy desserts. More recipes featuring fresh fruit you may also like to try:
- Kids of all ages love a colorful Fruit Pizza for dessert.
- My Frozen Berry Fruit Salad is pretty and delicious.
- These two bite frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites are ideal for make ahead preparation.
- This Easy Fruit Dip requires no cooking at all. Use it for dipping your favorite fruits as an appetizer or a snack.
- Creamy Grape Salad Recipe is a potluck rock star.
- No worries about melting ice cream on a hot day when you serve my Fruit Bowl Sundae.
- This stunning Punch Bowl Fruit Salad is layered with a decadent creamy filling.
- Yogurt Fruit Parfaits from Food Network.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Fruit Salad
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup lemon juice (or orange juice)
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Fruit Salad:
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups cubed pineapple
- 2 cups blueberries, blackberries or raspberries (Or a mix of fresh berries)
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 3 medium kiwi, thinly sliced
- 2 large peaches pitted and sliced
- 2 medium naval oranges OR mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- fresh mint sprig for garnishing
- To make dressing: In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer lime juice, lemon juice, honey, sugar, lime zest and lemon zest. Simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool. (This can be done up to 2 days in advance and chilled)
- Toss fruit together in a large bowl then cover and chill for at least 2 hours preferably 4 hours. (Add banana just before serving)
- To serve: Pour dressing over fruit, add sliced bananas. Gently toss to coat with dressing then serve immediately garnished with mint.
- Store leftover fruit salad chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you prefer, you can use all lime juice or only lemon juice for the dressing. You could also use orange juice. Should you opt for orange juice, replace the zest with orange zest.