Desserts like this Fruit Bowl Sundae are fun to make and eat. This sundae is made with layers of lush cookies and cream, sweet strawberries, bananas, tropical pineapple chunks and salted caramel peanuts tossed in for a bit of crunch. Not only is there no need to worry about melting ice cream, when displayed in a trifle bowl it serves as a gorgeous dessert centerpiece as well. Just pass out spoons and step aside.
Trifles For Any Occasion
If you're a regular visitor to my website you know I love trifles. I do, I make them all the time. They tend to have that "Wow" factor that I so love making and serving. They're special but, trifles don't have to be labor intensive. I had the revelation for this fruit bowl sundae while walking through the produce department of my local market and looking at all of the beautiful fresh fruit.I wanted to make it using something other than a custard or ice cream, and a light bulb went off. Why not combine whipped cream and crushed cookies. Voila, this stunning fruit bowl sundae came alive.
Trifles by t heir very nature are all about layering ingredients. The sky is the limit with combinations and there's plenty of room to personalize. While browsing the nut section of the supermarket, I stumbled upon salted caramel peanuts and jumped at the chance to use them in this dessert. They ended up being a perfect addition to my fruit bowl sundae. However, feel free to adapt using your favorite nut.
How Do You Keep the Bananas Fresh?
Due to the bananas this fruit bowl sundae should be made fairly close to the time you'd like to serve it. I do recommend that you toss them with lemon juice which does help to delay the browning of the banana slices. The syrup from the strawberries helps as well, so make sure the berry layer is over the bananas. It's a beautiful summer dessert straight from the heart of my kitchen to yours. Other fruit salads to try is this Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime or party ready Pina Colada Fruit Salad.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Fruit Bowl Sundae
- 2 lb strawberries hulled and sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 6 bananas sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 12 oz milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed and divided
- 12 oz chocolate creme filled cookies crushed
- 1 5 oz salted caramel OR honey roasted peanuts
- 6 maraschino cherries with stems
- Sprinkle the sliced strawberries with ½ cup granulated sugar. mix well, then chill until the sugar dissolves and forms a syrup.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream together. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together 16 oz whipped topping with the crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Toss the sliced bananas with the lemon juice.
- To assemble: In the bottom of a large bowl or trifle bowl. layer ⅓ pineapple, ⅓ banana slices and ⅓ sliced strawberries. Drizzle with ⅓ melted chocolate and ⅓ nuts.
- Cover with ½ of the cookie cream. Repeat until all of the ingredients are used.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with maraschino cherries.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.