This Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake is a feast for the eyes. Three layers of homemade butter cake are sandwiched together with fresh sweet macerated strawberries then smothered with sweetened whipped cream. Assemble the layers and chill then slice and serve for an incredible sweet ending to a special meal.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake Recipe
When sweet ruby red strawberries come into season with a vengeance, it's my distinct pleasure to serve them every which way possible. In fact, I dream of ways to serve them and strawberries are well represented here on the website. My Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is an absolute fan favorite along with my Strawberries and Cream Gooey Butter Cake and Strawberry Pie with a hidden cheesecake layer. I can't think of a single person I know that doesn't go "ga ga" for anything strawberry so, when entertaining it's always a winning choice.
How to Make the Best Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, large eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk for the cake.
- You'll also need 2 quarts of fresh strawberries, sliced and macerated with granulated sugar.
- For the whipped filling you'll need: Softened cream cheese to stabilize the filling, heavy cream, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A hand mixer or a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons and sharp knife and chopping board, a strawberry huller and an offset spatula to spread the filling. You'll also need three 9 inch round cake pans to bake the layers.
- Since this stunning cake is a layer cake, I added cream cheese to the whipped cream to stabilize the whipped cream filling. Doing so, the layers stay intact when the cake is sliced and served.
- For a timesaver, the cake layers can be baked one day in advance, cooled completely, wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled. You can then assemble the layers on the day you want to serve it.
- Allow time for the Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake to chill and set. Give it about 4 hours in the refrigerator after assembling and you'll be good to go.
- Store leftover Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Southern Style Strawberry Desserts to Make
Strawberries and cream seems to be the kind of flavor combination that pleases the masses. More recipes using fresh strawberries that you may also like to try:
- Southern Strawberry Pound Cake with Vanilla Cream Glaze is a made from scratch summertime cake.
- Gorgeous Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake is filled with a strawberry cheesecake-like filling.
- Cute as a button Strawberry Shortcake Brownie Cupcakes are the kind of individual dessert recipes that everyone loves.
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes from Celebrating Sweets.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 quarts strawberries (Reserve 6 whole berries for garnishing) hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Whipped Cream Filling:
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 3  inch round cake pans or spray with baking spray. [i.e. Bakers Joy]
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a mixer, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically so all ingredients will combine.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Beat on medium speed until all has been added, then increase the speed of the mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes
- Divide evenly between the prepared pans. Bounce the pans on the counter a couple of times to release trapped air.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely in the pans on a baking rack.
- Place strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- To prepare the filling: In a medium size mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add the cream. Beat on medium-high for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble: Center one cake layer on stand. Top with ½ of sliced strawberries and ⅓ whipped cream. Repeat ending with whipped cream. Garnish with whole berries cut in half, if desired.
- Chill thoroughly for at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftovers chilled.