This Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake is a feast for the eyes. Three layers of butter cake are sandwiched together with fresh sweet macerated strawberries then smothered with sweetened whipped cream. Assemble the layers and chill then slice and serve for an incredible sweet ending to a special meal.
Strawberries and Cream
When sweet ruby red strawberries come into season with a vengeance, it’s my distinct pleasure to serve them every which way possible. In fact, I dream of ways to serve them and strawberries are well represented here on the website. My Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is an absolute fan favorite along with my Strawberries and Cream Gooey Butter Cake and Strawberry Pie with a hidden cheesecake layer. I can’t think of a single person I know that doesn’t go “ga ga” for anything strawberry so, when entertaining it’s always a winning choice.
Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake Tastes as Good as it Looks
Since this stunning cake is a layer cake, I added cream cheese to the whipped cream to stabilize the cake filling allowing it to stay intact when it’s sliced and served. For a timesaver, the cake layers can be baked one day in advance and chilled. You can then assemble the layers on the day you want to serve it. Allow time for the cake to chill and set after assembling and you’ll be good to go. Other strawberry desserts to savor are these individual Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits and cute a a button Strawberry Shortcake Brownie Cupcakes for kids of all ages.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups butter (2 1/2 sticks) softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 quarts strawberries (Reserve 6 whole berries for garnishing) hulled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Whipped Cream Filling:
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 3  inch round cake pans or spray with baking spray. [i.e. Bakers Joy]
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a mixer, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically so all ingredients will combine.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Beat on medium speed until all has been added, then increase the speed of the mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes
- Divide evenly between the prepared pans. Bounce the pans on the counter a couple of times to release trapped air.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely in the pans on a baking rack.
- Place strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- To prepare the filling: In a medium size mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add the cream. Beat on medium-high for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble: Center one cake layer on stand. Top with 1/2 of sliced strawberries and 1/3 whipped cream. Repeat ending with whipped cream. Garnish with whole berries cut in half, if desired.
- Chill thoroughly for at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftovers chilled.