These Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples are the sort of one dish skillet meals that taste just like fall. Cajun rubbed thick cut pork chops are nestled in a bed of savoy cabbage, onion and apples then simmered in apple cider until tender. Serve just as is for a complete meal or with a heaping helping of creamy mashed potatoes. There's homespun comfort in each and every bite.
Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples
When the weather begins to turn, even though it does so slowly here in the South, dishes like these braised pork chops seem like a fitting way to welcome harvest season. The slight sweetness from the apple pairs beautifully with the savoy cabbage and onion. Apple cider provides the most delicious braising liquid for the pork chops, too. It infuses flavor and highlights the diced apple in the dish.
Pro-Tips for Making Braised Pork Chops
- If you prefer, you can use green cabbage in place of the savoy cabbage for braising.
- You can also add a diced sweet potato along with the onion, to give the dish another element of flavor.
- While the apple cider infused liquid is delicious, this dish isn't supposed to be too "soupy" so, use your best judgement. If you're pleased with the amount of liquid, you'll be good to go.
- If it seems like too much liquid left in the pan at the end of cooking, remove the pork chops and cabbage to a platter, cover and keep warm. This will allow you to increase the heat and reduce the liquid leaving the amount to your taste. Doing so, will intensify the flavor and it can then be drizzled over the pork chops just before serving.
- Another tasty pork chop recipe you may like to try are these Balsamic Dijon Pork Chops from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Side Dishes to Serve with Pork Chops
- Creamy Baked Mashed Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with your favorite toppings
- Skillet Honey Cornbread with butter
- Sweet and tangy 5 Bean Salad
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Braised Pork Chops With Cabbage and Apples
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 6-8 oz thick cut pork loin chops
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning See Cook's note
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 Gala apples diced (Or your favorite variety)
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 2-3 lb head Savoy cabbage or green cabbage roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes Or to taste
- 1 ½ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan leaving the drippings. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the skillet.
- Rub the pork chops on all sides with Cajun seasoning. Brown in the bacon drippings over medium-high heat on all sides but not cooked through. Remove from the skillet to a platter.
- Add the onion, apple and fennel seed to the pan. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if needed. Cook over medium high until beginning to brown. Add the cabbage to the skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes until the the cabbage is beginning to wilt. Season with garlic salt, sugar red pepper flakes and leaves from 2 sprigs thyme.
- Nestle the pork chops back into the cabbage. Pour the apple cider over the top.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the pork chops are fork tender.
- When done, uncover and remove the pork chops and cabbage to a platter using a slotted spoon.
- Increase the heat to medium high and cook until any remaining liquid in the pan is reduced.
- Serve drizzled over the pork chops garnished with remaining thyme and crumbled bacon.
2) Green cabbage may be used in place of savoy cabbage, if desired.