This Green Bean Salad recipe features red onions and cherry tomatoes for added texture and color. It’s a spectacular option for the holidays, backyard picnics and potluck parties.
Easy Green Bean Salad Recipe
This green bean salad recipe begins with fresh green beans tossed with an amazing homemade dressing. It’s the kind of salad that goes well with Italian favorites such as spaghetti or lasagna as well as burgers, grilled pork and steaks. Green beans and potatoes cooked together are a common dish served in the South, and this recipe is a delicious departure when you’d like to add something just a little outside of the box to the menu. How to make simple Green Bean Salad:
- Green Beans – 2 pounds fresh whole green beans, ends trimmed.
- Dressing – Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, vegetable oil and garlic cloves.
- Seasonings – Salt, sugar, black pepper and onion powder.
- Mix-ins – Red onion and cherry tomatoes.
- Cheese – Grated Parmesan cheese OR feta cheese.
How to Make the Best Green Bean Salad Recipe
This green bean salad is bursting with flavor! It needs to sit for at least 4 hours so all of the flavors can marry and combine. It’s got that tangy and savory flavor vibe and in fact, the flavor gets better and better as it sits. It’s the kind of make-ahead salad that covers all bases.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Green Bean Tomato Salad: 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed, red onion, cherry tomatoes and grated Parmesan cheese or feta cheese. You could also use fresh mozzarella cheese.
- To make the homemade dressing: Vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, sugar, onion powder and garlic cloves.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large stock pot or pasta pot to cook the green beans, a stand blender, measuring cups and spoons, a large spoon or spatula for stirring and a large mixing bowl. You’ll also need a sharp knife and cutting board to prep the vegetables.
- Some other vegetables that would be good in this green beans salad recipe: Fresh asparagus (cook it the same way as the green beans and add them to the salad per the recipe) bell peppers, corn, and garbanzo beans.
- Other yummy mix-ins: Sliced toasted almonds, chopped hard-boiled eggs, cooked and crumbled bacon, chopped fresh basil, chopped fresh oregano, or mozzarella pearls in place of Parmesan cheese.
- This is a great salad to bring to a potluck or a party where it will be sitting out since it can be served at room temperature or chilled. There’s also the bonus of it not being dressed with a cream based dressing.
- Store leftover Green Bean Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, do not freeze.
More Southern Style Bean Recipes to Make
Whether it’s garden season or you’re looking to amp up the side dish menu for the holidays, beans always have a place on the table. More recipes using a variety of beans you may like to make:
- Homestyle Green Beans and Potatoes are a Southern classic cooked with bacon.
- Turn leftover pinto beans into these delicious Pinto Bean Cakes for a round two meal.
- Southern Style Lima Beans with bacon.
- 5 Bean Salad is an oldie but goodie that marinates in the refrigerator.
- Homemade Baked Beans topped with strips of smoky bacon is the ideal picnic side.
- Serve these Fried Green Beans as an appetizer or a side dish.
- Green Bean Casserole skips the canned soup and features a homemade sauce instead.
- How to make Cannellini Beans from Foodie Crush.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Green Bean Salad
- 2 lbs fresh whole green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp salt divided use
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese OR feta cheese
- Place green beans into a large stock pot. Cover with water leaving 2 inches headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower the heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes or just until crisp tender.
- Drain green beans well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a stand blender add cider vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, sugar, black pepper and onion powder. Pulse a few times to combine. With blender on low slowly add vegetable oil through the top until dressing is slightly thickened. Taste and adjust salt to taste. (The Parmesan cheese will add to the saltiness of the dish overall.)
- Place warm green beans and red onion in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Mix well. Cover and chill until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, add tomatoes and Parmesan, toss to combine. Continue to chill or serve immediately.