This homemade Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing is unbelievably delicious! Inspired by a salad dressing at Chick-fil-A that I enjoy, but made better using fresh ingredients. I serve this avocado-lime ranch dressing as a salad dressing, as a dip or drizzled over tacos. Incredibly versatile and insanely delicious.
Homemade Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing Recipe
How to Make the Best Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing Recipe
This homemade Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing isn't limited only to salads. You can use it as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips, drizzled on tacos, burgers, grilled chicken, pork and beyond. Try using it for a dip with vegetables or as a sauce for seafood.
- Ingredients you'll need to make easy Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing: One avocado, mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, diced onion, fresh cilantro, serrano pepper, lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt, Mexican oregano, sugar, black pepper and dark chili powder.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A sharp knife and cutting board, a stand blender, measuring cups and spoons and a mason jar or airtight container for storing the dressing.
- You really don't need high-end equipment to make this salad dressing. A stand blender or food processor is ideal and can whip-up the ingredients with very little effort in a matter of minutes.
- For the most robust flavor, store it tightly sealed in the refrigerator for several hours prior to serving to allow the flavors to fully combine and come to life. It's like a fiesta in a jar.
- This dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance of serving. It will keep for up to 5 days, possibly even longer, but due to the oxidation of the fresh avocado it will not keep it's bright green color. Use it within 3-5 days for the best results.
More Southern Style Dressing and Sauce Recipes to Make
There's nothing like whipping up a homemade salad dressing or sauce using ingredients you already have on hand. More easy recipes you may like to try:
- This mouthwatering Green Goddess Dressing can be served as a dip, too.
- Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing is delicious on a spinach salad with all the fixings.
- Garlic and Herb Buttermilk Dressing is creamy and delicious.
- Make your own Homestyle Cole Slaw Dressing.
- Copycat Chick fil A Sauce for dipping chicken, french fries and more.
- Thousand Island Dressing from Culinary Hill.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup sweet onion diced
- 1 serrano pepper seeded and rough chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro rough chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dark chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the onion, Serrano pepper, garlic cloves, lime juice and cilantro into a blender. Pulse until chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Add more buttermilk, if desired to thin.
- Store chilled for at least 4 hours before serving. May make up to 3 days in advance, shake well before serving. Serve as a dressing, condiment or dip.
I dream about this dressing sometimes. So good you could almost drink it! I usually only do half a pepper though for my spice preference. So glad I ran across this recipe. It is truly fabulous. Thanks!
Thanks so much!
Awesome dressing !!
Lick the bowl good!!! Just made this dressing and my taste buds are zinging!!!! LOVE!
I'm so happy you love this, thanks!
Just made this today and it's delicious!! I live overseas and a few of the ingredients are impossible or expensive to find.
I did the following substitutes and additions for anyone in a similar situation...
- Jalapeno pepper instead of serrano
- Instead of buttermilk I used 3/4 cup whole milk, 2 Tbs extra sourcream, and 1Tbs lime juice
- Instead of mexican oregano I used marjoram (thanks to the person who suggested that)
- Added another Tbs lime juice (so 4Tbs)
- Added another Tbs of cilantro (so 3 Tbs)
- Chipotle pepper powder instead of dark chili powder
Don't think I've ever been so excited for a salad in my life 🙂
I liked the chick fil—a dressing so much, that I googled the recipe and yours popped up. It’s really delicious. I use it to make coleslaw. Some time I’ll use it in a pasta salad.
Thanks so much!
I'm so happy you loved this, thanks!
I have never had Chik-fil-a’s avocado lime ranch dressing, but a friend of mine loves it, and I’m bringing her food after a surgery. It’s her favorite dressing, and I decided to make some for her. I could drink this dressing!! It is so delicious! Thank you for sharing!
Hi Eve, I hope she enjoys it, what a kind gesture. I love it too, thanks!
How long does this dressing keep in the fridge?
This dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance of serving. It will keep for up to 5 days, possibly even longer but, due to the oxidation of the fresh avocado it will not keep it's bright green color. Use it within 3-5 days for the best results.
Outstanding. Love this and will definitely make again!
This is a fabulous recipe; much better than Chic-Fil-A avocado Lime Ranch dressing. This is a DEFINITE "keeper" and a recipe I will make over and over. Thank you for sharing.
OMG!! This dressing is so unbelievably delicious!!! I’m addicted!! It’s better than Chic-Fil-A’s Avocado Lime Ranch. Thank you for this recipe! Now I can make as much as I want when I want!! Keep those recipes coming!!!!
Hi Patti, wow I consider that high praise! I share your love of this dressing, thanks for such a sweet note.
Delicious and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I substituted Stevia for the sugar to make it a little more low-carb friendly and added just a little more of the ingredients that we really enjoy like cilantro. I'll make this often!
Wonderful, thanks so much!
One word . . . sublime. I substituted smoked paprika for the chili powder. After dipping the tip of my spoon in to taste the dressing, I admit to eating an entire spoonful. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe.
Wonderful, thanks so much!
Thank you so much for this AMAZING salad dressing!!! I couldn't find the Mexican oregano in my grocery store so I googled a good substitution...marjoram. It was yummy!
I'm happy you enjoyed, thank you!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Had this Salad at Chick-fil-a last week when we were visiting family in the States last week and LOVED it. No Chick-fil-a over here in Germany, so I was a little sad not to be able to eat it again - but now I found your recipe and it's absolutely fantastic tasting! Definitely my new favourite salad dressing 🙂
Wonderful, we love this dressing, too. Thanks for visiting!
How many carbohydrates are in this dressing
The approximate values are listed at the bottom of the recipe card.