This homemade Garlic and Herb Buttermilk Dressing is an upgrade on store bought Ranch dressing that's super simple to make. It comes with the bonus of having complete control over the ingredients. The combination of herbs and seasonings in this dressing adds a depth of flavor you won't find in it's bottled counterpart at the grocery store. You can whip up a batch in no time and adjust the flavor to your personal taste.
Easy Garlic and Herb Buttermilk Dressing Recipe
This homemade Ranch dressing comes together in minutes and it's ready to drizzle over your favorite salad immediately. I highly recommend that you allow chill time to make the flavors even more robust once they have time to marry. It's full flavored and sure to be a welcome addition to your salad menu. One other notable advantage of making this garlic herb dressing yourself is, you know and recognize each ingredient. That's a true added bonus, if you ask me. As far as technique goes I wanted to include tips below for your success.
How to Make the Best Garlic and Herb Buttermilk Dressing
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Garlic Herb Buttermilk Dressing: Buttermilk, mayonnaise, chives, garlic, parsley, sea salt, granulated sugar, lemon juice, garlic powder or granulated garlic, onion powder, black pepper and dill.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: One medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, whisk and airtight container or mason jar for storing.
- I recommend adding the buttermilk to the mayonnaise first to incorporate fully.
- To make the dressing consistency thicker, decrease the buttermilk by ¼ cup and increase the mayonnaise by ¼ cup.
- You could use low fat mayonnaise and buttermilk in this recipe, if desired.
- Variations to make: You can easily turn this dressing into a blue cheese dressing by adding four ounces of crumbled Saga Blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese to the base recipe.
- Ways to Serve Garlic Herb Buttermilk Dressing: You can enjoy this dressing on salads or use it as a dip for fresh vegetables on crudite platters or Baked Buffalo Wings. You could also use it anytime Ranch dressing is called for in a recipe such as this Chicken Bacon Ranch Layer Salad.
- Store this Garlic Herb Buttermilk Dressing chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Homemade Dressing Recipes to Make
You may already have what you need to make a variety of dressings at home. A few other recipes for you to consider making:
- My better than copycat Homemade Avocado Lime Dressing is positively addictive.
- Classic Green Goddess Dressing adds a freshness to any salad.
- Jalapeno Ranch Dressing can be drizzled on salads, sandwiches, tacos or used as a dip with tortilla chips.
- This cooked Dressing for Cole Slaw is a family favorite.
- My Caesar Salad Dressing is packed with flavor!
- Sweet and tangy Poppy Seed Salad Dressing.
- Raspberry Vinaigrette from Betty Crocker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Garlic And Herb Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic Adjust amount to taste
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill weed or ½ teaspoon fresh
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk and mayonnaise. Add remaining ingredients and seasonings. Continue to whisk the mixture until the ingredients are fully incorporated and no lumps remain.
- Pour into an airtight container and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Store chilled for up to 5 days.
Melissa, If you put a cube of Roquefort with this it makes beautiful dressing also.
Perfect for salad
Thanks for the motivation! It's beautiful.
It was a big hit in my house!
So yummy! I want to put this dressing on everything!
This dressing is so full of herbs and great flavors
This dressing is so classic and well balanced!
I love this recipe
Love this dressing, have some buttermilk in the fridge, now I know what to do with it.
My hubby loves Ranch dressing, but I'm not a fan of the bottled stuff. Your recipe made him very happy---I loved it, too!
I used this for a dip for my buffalo wings... perfection.
Lori @ RecipeGirl
I love this salad dressing!
I’ve never left a comment on a blogger’s recipe before but this dressing was too good not to! I found it after searching for a dressing similar to the one I had at the Restoration Hardware restaurant in New York and I’m so glad I did - it’s absolutely delicious!
Hi Erica, thank you SO much for taking the time to comment. While I published this recipe a while ago, it's evergreen, as I use it in my kitchen to this day. Visit often!
Looks nice and delicious.Thanks