These Hot Chocolate Cookies are topped with mini marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles to gild the lily. Enjoy them fresh from the oven while the marshmallows are still gooey and warm or at room temperature.
Easy Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
This recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies are made in a similar fashion to thumbprint cookies. The center is filled with mini marshmallows that are toasted until golden and gooey under the oven broiler then topped with chocolate sprinkles. To make Hot Chocolate Cookies use a whisk to sift together all purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, dry hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda. Use a hand mixer to cream together softened butter with granulated sugar and vanilla, then add two large eggs beating until the mixture is fluffy. Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients beating just until fully combined. Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls then roll in white sugar and place onto the cookie sheets. Once baked, top with mini marshmallows and pop back into the oven under the broiler to toast. Delicious!
How to Make the BEST Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Hot Chocolate Cookies: All purpose flour, cocoa powder, dry hot chocolate mix, espresso powder (optional) salt, butter, large eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda, mini marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A stand mixer or hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, medium bowl, large bowl, sheet pans, cooling rack, small scoop and cookie spatula.
- Espresso powder has the ability to intensify the flavor of chocolate. It’s optional, you can omit it if desired.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the sifted dry ingredients to give these cookies a Mexican hot chocolate flavor with no other adaptations needed. You could also add 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the granulated sugar for rolling the cookie dough balls.
- For a more intense chocolate flavor, use dark cocoa or Dutch process cocoa powder.
- You can use a pastry torch to toast the marshmallows if you have one and skip placing the cooking under the broiler. Either way will work.
- There’s no wrong way to enjoy these cookies. You should cool them completely prior to storing, but you can eat them fresh from the oven while warm, too! They are hot chocolate cookies, afterall.
- If you want to enjoy these cookies warm just pop them into the microwave and gently reheat for a few seconds.
- Store baked Hot Chocolate Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More Cookie Recipes to Make
- No time to bake? The kiddos will love this Edible Cookie Dough!
- Turtle Cookies are filled with chocolate and pecans topped with a drizzle of caramel.
- Powder sugar coated Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are a holiday must make!
- Peanut Butter Cowboy Cookies are a fan favorite.
- Cutout Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies can be made into any shape depending on the occasion.
- Molasses Cookies melt in your mouth.
- Key Lime Coconut White Chocolate Chip Cookies are filled with the fresh flavor of lime.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Iowa Girl Eats.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided use
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry hot chocolate mix
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder optional
- 72 mini marshmallows
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl use a whisk to sift together flour, hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder, if using. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium high speed to beat together 2/3 cup granulated sugar with butter and vanilla extract until creamed, about 3-4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add the sifted dry ingredients beating just until fully combined.
- Place reserved 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Use a small scoop (meatball size) to divide the dough rolling into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar. Place on the prepared pans at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake until set, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately press 3 mini marshmallows into the center of each cookie. Watch your fingers, the cookies will be hot.
- Change the oven setting to broil. Put the cookies under low broil heat just until the marshmallows are lightly browned, approximately 1-2 minutes. You can also use a pastry torch.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature, storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days.