This Italian Party Sub is topped with sweet balsamic onions and slathered with basil mayonnaise. After baking, divide it into portions and watch it disappear.
Italian Party Sub for Game Day and Casual Meals
This Italian party sub falls under the category of “party food” at our house. That’s the kind of food we make for watching football, Nascar races, or lazy weekend days when grazing is in order. I like to bake the sub then place the toppings including the sweet balsamic onion and basil mayo on a platter. Then I let my hungry eaters decide how they’d like to dress their own subs. It’s interactive, get’s everyone involved and it’s party fun rolled into one.
Helpful Tips for Making Italian Sub
- You can use any combination of meats that you enjoy on this sub.
- Both the balsamic onions and basil mayonnaise should be made in advance for the best flavor.
- This sub can made ahead of time, then wrapped in aluminum foil and refrigerated for a time saver.
- When doing so, allow the sub to rest on the counter for 15 minutes before baking.
- Along with the pickled onions and basil mayo, serve sliced tomatoes and lettuce, pepperoncini, olives and other toppings on the side so everyone can build their own sub to their personal liking.
- You may also like this recipe for Fiesta Turkey Club Sub and homemade Monte Cristo Sandwich.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Party Sub
Servings: 10 servings (may vary)
- 1 20 inch Italian or French bread loaf sliced in half
- 1 lb thinly sliced ham
- 6 oz sliced hard salami
- 4 oz sandwich size pepperoni
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Balsamic Onions:
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute [to taste]
- Basil Mayo:
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 tsp prepared basil pesto [I used Classico]
- Assorted toppings: lettuce, sliced tomatoes, pepperoncini, olives
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have nearby a large sheet pan.
- To make Sub: Use a serrated knife to cut the sub through the middle. Remove some of the inside of the bread loaf, and freeze for later use
- Drizzle both sides of the bread lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic salt and Italian seasoning.
- Layer the meats and cheese starting with cheese, ending with deli meats. (Cheese serves as a tasty "glue" so, it's best to end the top layer with meat, so the top piece will be easily removable to add toppings and basil mayo later.)
- Place the top half on top, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Slice the sub into 2-inch portions and arrange on a platter.
- Serve with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, pepperocini slices and slice black olives if desired.
- To Prepare Balsamic Onions: Mix together white balsamic vinegar sweetened to your taste and the sliced onion. Chill well. (This can be done several hours in advance.)
- Basil Mayonnaise: Mix together mayonnaise and a prepared basil pesto. Refrigerate until serving.
This sub can made ahead of time, then wrapped in aluminum foil and refrigerated for a time saver. Allow to rest on the counter for 15 minutes before baking.