Whether you're serving a bowl of pinto beans, homemade chili or soup this Jalapeno Pepper-Jack Cornbread makes a perfect side. Spice-up your cornbread menu with this moist and flavorful kickin' cornbread that features sweet cream style corn, pepper-jack cheese and diced jalapeno pepper. It's a hearty and filling accompaniment to most any meal.
Jalapeno Cornbread and Biscuits
Cornbread and biscuits are in equal standing when you consider the favored house breads of the South. There are so many variations of both that I could publish a different recipe every single day for years. That just might be a great idea for a future cookbook. Never mind me, I'm just thinking out loud. Nonetheless, there are many ways to put a spin on classic cornbread and this is one such example of a delicious twist of flavors to enjoy.
Sweet Versus Savory Cornbread
Classic Southern cornbread would never have sugar in it and be savory in flavor. Others, prefer a sweeter version. I'm happy to say that I love cornbread pretty much any way it's served, sweet, savory or spicy. My rule of thumb is: there's no such thing as a wrong way to prepare cornbread. If you like the flavor then it's a win and there's absolutely no need for debate. I have many variations in the recipe index here and choose the style based on what I'm planning to serve alongside the cornbread. This spicy, cheesy version is perfection when paired with fresh garden vegetables, soup, chili or a bowl of pinto beans.
Other Delicious Cornbread Recipes to Try
Cornbread is never a bad idea whether it's classic or loaded up with fillings. A few variations you may enjoy:
- Stuffed Mexican Cornbread
- Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Cornbread
- Cracklin' Cornbread from My Recipes
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread
- 1 ⅓ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 small sweet onion finey diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 4 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 425° and butter the sides and bottom of a 9 x 9 inch non-stick baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, garlic salt and ground cumin.
- Add the shredded pepper-jack cheese, diced jalapeno and sweet onion. Mix until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, cream corn and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully moistened.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bounce the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter and release air bubbles.
- Bake the cornbread for 30 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
A little square snuggled right down in the bottom of the bowl with a blanket of chili over the top. Very good...YUM!!
This looks delicious! Do you think this would freeze well if I made an extra batch?
You can freeze this, sure.
Gina i Kleiman
if i leave out the canned corn do i need to replace it with liquid?
It's really best to make this as is. That said, yes, you would need to adjust the liquid. I can't advise you with certainty as I haven't tested it with that variation.
This sounds incredible, can I make it without the sugar and it still turn out good?
You can omit, or use a sugar substitute, if you prefer.
This cornbread recipe is a keeper. It was exactly how I liked it. A little spicy, a little crumbly, and a lot of delicious. 🙂
I'm glad you enjoyed this one, thanks Sam!
WOW! Made this cornbread today and it is wonderful. So tasty because of all the different ingredients and spices. I made one change...used cornmeal mix instead of the cornmeal, flour and baking powder combination. My oven bakes fast so I didn't need the full 30 minutes. Will definitely make again!
Thanks so much for the recipe!
Oh my gosh I need this!
This was fabulous. I served it with a big pot of chili last night and the crew loved it!
Wish I had been making my cornbread like this all along! Love the pepper jack and jalapenos!
Oh, my gosh, all the add ins kick this cornbread up to a whole other level! Love it.