Whether you're serving a bowl of pinto beans, homemade chili or soup this Jalapeno Pepper-Jack Cornbread makes a perfect side. Spice-up your cornbread menu with this moist and flavorful kickin' cornbread that features sweet cream style corn, pepper-jack cheese and diced jalapeno pepper. It's a hearty and filling accompaniment to most any meal.
Jalapeno Cornbread and Biscuits
Cornbread and biscuits are in equal standing when you consider the favored house breads of the South. There are so many variations of both that I could publish a different recipe every single day for years. That just might be a great idea for a future cookbook. Never mind me, I'm just thinking out loud. Nonetheless, there are many ways to put a spin on classic cornbread and this is one such example of a delicious twist of flavors to enjoy.
Sweet Versus Savory Cornbread
Classic Southern cornbread would never have sugar in it and be savory in flavor. Others, prefer a sweeter version. I'm happy to say that I love cornbread pretty much any way it's served, sweet, savory or spicy. My rule of thumb is: there's no such thing as a wrong way to prepare cornbread. If you like the flavor then it's a win and there's absolutely no need for debate. I have many variations in the recipe index here and choose the style based on what I'm planning to serve alongside the cornbread. This spicy, cheesy version is perfection when paired with fresh garden vegetables, soup, chili or a bowl of pinto beans.
Other Delicious Cornbread Recipes to Try
Cornbread is never a bad idea whether it's classic or loaded up with fillings. A few variations you may enjoy:
- Stuffed Mexican Cornbread
- Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Cornbread
- Cracklin' Cornbread from My Recipes
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread
- 1 ⅓ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 small sweet onion finey diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 4 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 425° and butter the sides and bottom of a 9 x 9 inch non-stick baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, garlic salt and ground cumin.
- Add the shredded pepper-jack cheese, diced jalapeno and sweet onion. Mix until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, cream corn and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully moistened.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bounce the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter and release air bubbles.
- Bake the cornbread for 30 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.