This Easy Cornbread Casserole recipe features a sweet and tender crumb that can be made in either the oven or in a crockpot. Serve it as a side dish with your favorite entrées or South of the Border inspired main dish meals.
Easy Cornbread Casserole Recipe
This kind of six ingredient casserole is one you’ll gravitate to when you need a low stress dish to serve. It reminds me of the little moist corn cakes called sweet corn tomalitos sometimes served at Mexican restaurants like Chevy’s. While they are made using masa, I have to tell you this cornbread recipe is so easy and it hits all of the same flavor points. Sweeter than a tamale but just as pleasing.
How to Make the Best Easy Cornbread Casserole Recipe
While I use an inexpensive brand of muffin mix that everyone knows, it’s perfectly fine to use your favorite brand in the same amount as called for in the cornbread casserole recipe.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for homemade cornbread casserole: You’ll need one box of Jiffy cornbread and muffin mix or a similar brand of corn muffin mix, one can of cream style corn, one can of whole kernel corn, granulated sugar, one half cup of melted butter and one large egg.
- Important kitchen tools you’ll need is a large bowl to mix everything together, a 1/3 cup measuring cup, a large silicone spatula, a microwave safe bowl to melt the butter, and a fork or whisk to beat the egg.
- This corn casserole can be made in a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet or an oblong baking dish. Regardless of shape, don’t remove from the oven until the center is set when gently shaken. It can also be made in a crockpot and those instructions are included in the recipe.
- You can use any brand of corn muffin mix in the same amount, that you enjoy.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar to suit your personal taste. I haven’t tested it using alternative or artificial sweeteners but if you’ve had success baking with a sugar substitute that isn’t heat sensitive in the past, it should work in this recipe as well.
- Other than butter, this recipe doesn’t require any other dairy products at all. There is another popular crockpot corn casserole that uses both cheddar cheese and sour cream in the ingredients. You can see my recipe for Crock Pot Corn Casserole here.
- Don’t expect this casserole to cut clean pieces like classic Southern cornbread. It has a tender crumb and moist texture that makes it simply irresistible.
- You can store leftover cornbread casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions.
- You can also reheat in a 350°F oven with a piece of foil on top just until heated through.
How to Make Cornbread Casserole in a Crockpot
For all of my slow cooker friends, this is how you convert this cornbread casserole recipe to a crockpot:
Crockpot Instructions: Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker or similar with cooking spray. Prepare cornbread mixture per the recipe. Pour evenly into the crockpot. Cover opening with doubled paper towels and lock lid firmly in place. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or just until cooked through and set. Let stand 5 minutes uncovered, then serve.
Other Southern Style Cornbread Recipes to Make
I highly recommend adding this casserole as a side dish for any meal or Mexican night at home. It pairs beautifully with chili, refried beans, black beans or pinto beans. Other delicious ways to make cornbread that you may like to try:
- Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread is a summer favorite incorporating fresh from the garden shredded zucchini.
- Cornbread and Sausage Quiche is a fan favorite that you can serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper.
- Okra Cornbread is a must-make during okra season.
- Skillet Honey Cornbread is a classic that goes with any meal.
- Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread will bring a pop of flavor to your side dish menu.
- Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Cornbread from Bob’s Red Mill
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Cornbread Casserole
- 1 8 oz box Jiffy corn muffin mix or similar private label store brand
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 14.5 oz can creamed corn
- 1 14.5 oz can corn drained
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 1 large egg beaten
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix and sugar. Add cream corn, corn, butter and egg. Mix until fully combined.
- Oven Method: Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken. Let stand for 5 minutes then scoop and serve.
- Crockpot Instructions: Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker or similar with cooking spray. Pour mixture into crockpot. Cover opening with doubled paper towels and lock lid firmly in place. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or just until cooked through and set. Let stand 5 minutes uncovered, then serve.