This island inspired Key Lime Cheesecake recipe features a creamy no bake lime infused filling. It has all the makings of a bright and refreshing dessert that's ideal for any occasion.
Easy Key Lime Cheesecake Recipe
Key lime anything is a summer favorite. That said, why limit lime or lemon for that matter, to only a warm weather dessert? It's a fabulous flavor to make in the dead of winter to remind you of the warmer days ahead. This key lime cheesecake is made with a creamy no bake filling that uses unflavored gelatin to stabilize it. The island inspired key lime flavor is a must-make for summer or any special occasion.
How to Make the Best Key Lime Cheesecake Recipe
What is a key lime? Key limes are smaller than the Persian limes found most commonly in the produce department at your local grocery store. The color is more yellow and the skin of a key lime is thinner than a bright green Persian lime. The flavor is slightly sweeter and less tart than their counterpart which tends to be more acidic. You could adapt this cheesecake using Persian limes if you're unable to find key limes.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Key Lime Cheesecake: For the crust you'll need crushed graham crackers, granulated sugar and melted butter.
- For the no bake Key Lime Filling you'll need: Key lime juice, water, unflavored gelatin, granulated sugar, lime zest, butter, large eggs, softened cream cheese and whipped cream for garnishing the top.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A hand mixer or a stand mixer, a small saucepan, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a citrus juicer and zester, a silicone spatula and a 9 inch springform pan.
- Unflavored gelatin is what stabilizes the filling. Don't be intimadated, it's inexpensive and found near the other Jello products on the bakery aisle of any grocery store.
- Allow ample time for the cheesecake to chill before slicing. Overnight is ideal.
- The filling for this key lime cheesecake is a generous amount and likely won't fit into a classic prepared graham cracker crust purchased at the grocery store. If you can find the larger 9 ounce size, it may work but the classic size is too small.
- Store Key Lime Cheesecake chilled in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to Make a Homemade Graham Cracker Crust for Key Lime Cheesecake
A homemade crust isn't difficult to make at all and in this recipe it's the only part that requires baking in the oven. To make it this is what you do:
- In a small mixing bowl, melt ⅓ cup salted butter
- Add 1 ½ cups crushed graham cracker crumbs and ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Toss together until fully moistened then press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the side of the prepared springform pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes or just until set.
- Let cool then fill.
More Southern Style Cheesecake Recipes to Make
Just tell the family you're having cheesecake for dessert and it's sure to garner oohs and aahs. More homemade cheesecake recipe you may like to try:
- Double Chocolate Cheesecake is a sweet way to say "I love you".
- You'd pay top dollar for this Pecan Pie Cheesecake at a bakery.
- Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake is for all of the Reese's cup fans.
- Black Bottomed Strawberry Cheesecake Pie has a hidden layer of chocolate hidden inside.
- Decadent Red Velvet Cheesecake features a dreamy cream cheese topping.
- Blackberry Cheesecake from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Key Lime Cheesecake
- 1 ½ cups crushed graham crackers melted
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Cheesecake filling:
- 1 cup key lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 (¼ oz each) packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest plus additional for garnishing
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- 2 8 oz blocks plain cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream or thawed whipped topping
- sweetened whipped cream, lime slices and lime zest for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, toss together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press onto bottom and ½-1 inch up side of of lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes or just until set. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium size saucepan combine lime juice and water. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- To the pan add sugar, eggs and lime zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6-8 minutes or just until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed, gradually adding hot lime mixture. Stop and scrape the bowl periodically so it fully combines. Chill in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for around 45-50 minutes or until cool.
- Once filling mixture has cooled, gently fold in 1 cup whipped cream. Pour into prepared crust. Cover; refrigerate 4-6 hours or until firm.
- Loosen sides of cheesecake from pan using an offset spatula. Remove outer ring, smooth sides.
- Place onto a cake pedestal or serving platter. Garnish top of cheesecake with whipped cream, lime zest and lime slices, if desired.
- Store refrigerated for up to 5 days.