Easy Key Lime Tart Recipe
How to Make the Best Key Lime Tart Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Key Lime Tart: Crust is made with vanilla wafer crumbs, shredded coconut, almonds, sugar and melted butter. The filling is made with condensed milk, lime pie filling, whipped topping, one packet dry whipped topping mix i.e. Dream Whip, heavy cream, lime zest and toasted coconut for garnishing.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A hand mixer or a stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, a food processor to crush the vanilla wafers or a plastic bag and rolling pin, an offset spatula or spoon to spread the filling, a sheet pan to toast the coconut, a 8 inch springform pan and citrus zester.
- This tart was designed with a filling that doesn't require baking hence the addition of lime pie filling. The only part that requires baking is the crust. The pie filling provides stability and flavor.
- I find it easiest to toast the coconut and almonds for garnishing while the crust bakes. If you prefer to toast in a skillet on the stove top, you can see how to make toasted coconut here.
- The dry whipped topping mix called for is a brand by the name of Dream Whip. It's readily available at most grocery stores including Walmart and Target on the baking aisle. It's an intricate part of stabilizing the filling. It typically comes in a 2.6 oz box that includes two packets of mix. You only need one for the filling in this recipe.
- Allow ample time for the tart to chill so it will set up properly.
- Store leftover Key Lime Tart well chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Key Lime Desserts to Make
There are so many ways to enjoy the burst of lime flavor. Perhaps you're in the mood for Key Lime Coconut Cookies filled with white chocolate chips or a piece of Key Lime Poke Cake. My Key Lime Pie recipe never disappoints. The kiddos will love these Key Lime Pie Smoothies from An Affair from the Heart. Regardless, it's always the kind of dessert that's satisfying.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Key Lime Tart
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut divided
- ½ cup almond slices, plus 1 Tbsp lightly toasted (Reserve 1 tablespoon for garnishing)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 packet dry whipped topping mix i.e. Dream Whip (See Cook's note)
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 1 21 oz can key lime pie filling
- zest of one small lime plus additional for garnishing
- 1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping thawed
- Toasted coconut for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, toss together, vanilla wafers crumbs, ¾ cup coconut, ½ cup almonds, sugar with butter.Mix well.
- Press firmly into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9-10 inch spring form pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. (Spread remaining ¼ cup coconut and 1 tablespoon almonds on a small baking pan. Toast while crust bakes for 5 minutes, stirring as needed for even browning. Set aside to cool.)
- Bake crust for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before filling.
- To make the filling: In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip together sweetened condensed milk, cream and dry whipped topping mix. After combined, add the lime juice. Whip on high for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- To the bowl add pie filling and lime zest. Continue to whip for another 4-6 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread the filling evenly over the cooled crust.
- Garnish the top as desired, using thawed whipped topping.
- Chill thoroughly for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Before serving, remove outer ring and garnish with toasted coconut, additional lime zest and reserved almonds then slice and serve.
- Store chilled.