Key Lime Poke Cake – When I think of the flavor of key lime, it seems synonymous with warm weather. The Florida Keys are a spectacular place to visit and just soak-up the sun. The thought of lazy days on the beach is therapeutic, isn’t it?
Key Lime Poke Cake
- 1 recipe White Buttermilk Cake or 1 [16.25] oz box white cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1  oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cup heavy cream divided
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp key lime zest
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- few drops green food coloring optional
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 oz grated white chocolate
- Prepare the White Buttermilk Cake per the recipe directions in 9 x 13 inch pan. If using cake mix, prepare per the package directions in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, use the end of wooden spoon or similar to poke holes over the surface of the cake.
- Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup heavy cream, lime juice, 2 Tbsp lime zest and 1 tsp pure vanilla. Add a few drops of green food coloring, if desired.
- Pour the key lime filling over the top of the cake and into the holes.
- Spread evenly into the holes. Chill completely.
- Whip the remaining 2 cup heavy cream, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/3 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Frost the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining lime zest, toasted sliced almonds and grated white chocolate. Store chilled.