In the Summer when the days are easy…and hot…I like to make desserts like this lush and creamy Paradise Island Pie that require minimal effort but, are incredibly delicious The crust is made with vanilla wafers, macadamia nuts and sweetened coconut, mixed with butter then baked until golden. The filling is made with coconut cream pudding, crushed pineapple and fresh orange zest mixed with whipped topping then mixed until thick and creamy. After spreading over the cooled crust, the only thing left to do is chill time. For you and the pie.
When I think of island life, I think of crashing waves, breezy days and lots of sunshine. So for my Paradise Island Pie, I include the bright flavor of fresh orange zest, toasted coconut, toasted macadamia nuts, sweet pineapple and a decadent creamy no bake filling. It’s just what the Dr ordered for a backyard BBQ or potluck picnic. It’s like a taste of island life at home.
You may also like: Island Pecan Pie, Johnny Cash’s Mother’s recipe for Pineapple Pie and Lattice Pineapple Pie.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Paradise Island Pie
- 3/4 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts divided
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2.6 oz box dry whipped topping mix i.e. Dream Whip contains 2 packages - use both
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk divided
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple well drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp orange zest, plus additional for garnishing
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spritz the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spread 1/4 cup macadamia nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 4-5 minutes, Set aside for garnishing.
- Mix together crumbs, 1/2 cup nuts, butter, coconut and 1/4 cup sugar. Press firmly onto the bottom and about 3/4 inches up the sides of the pan.
- Bake crust for 16-18 minutes until golden and set. Cool completely.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together both packages of whipped topping mix with 1 cup milk until stiff peaks form. Around 4-6 minutes.
- To the whipped cream add both boxes of pudding mix, remaining 1 1/2 cups whole milk,and vanilla extract. Continue to whip for an additional 3 minutes or until the mixture is fully thickened and slightly golden in color.
- Use a large spoon or spatula and fold in the crushed pineapple and grated orange zest.
- Spread the filling over the cooled crust and smooth the top.
- Place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours before cutting into pieces.
- Before serving, frost the top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with orange zest and reserved toasted macadamia nuts.