If you savor the delicacy that is jumbo lump crab meat you’ll love the flavor combination in this Kickin’ Crab Salad. Sweet jumbo lump crab meat is mixed with a blend of peppers, celery, fresh green onion, mayonnaise and a few dashes of hot sauce to give it a “kick.” Crab salad can be prepared in advance for holiday entertaining then slathered on garlic crostini or your favorite crackers and served as an impressive appetizer. Alternatively, serve it in a lettuce wrap or on warm kaiser rolls as a main dish meal on a warm day. Make this crab salad a day in advance and give it plenty of time to chill and the flavors will come to life.
Premium jumbo lump crab meat is pricey, no matter how you use it. It’s one of those special items we tend to enjoy on very special ocassions and when eating out, right? Just the idea of entertaining with a dish that’s made of crab meat and you’ll fully expect to blow through your budget in no time. One advantage of serving crab this way is, crab salad can be prepared in advance for holiday entertaining and special meals and it stretches a bit further keeping your budget on track. Being a bargain shopper at heart, my favorite place to buy crab meat these days is, at my local Costco. It’s of premium quality and all things considered, it ends up being about the best price in town. So, sweet crab meat without guilt? It doesn’t get any better than that.
- ½ cup real mayonnaise
- ¼ cup prepared ranch dressing
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp seafood seasoning (i.e. Old Bay or similar)
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced green or poblano pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, picked over to remove shells
- Few dashes hot sauce
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, Ranch dressing, lemon juice, seafood seasoning, lemon pepper and garlic salt.
- Fold in the red and green pepper, green onion and celery.
- Gently fold in the crab meat and add hot sauce to your taste.
- Chill thoroughly and serve with crackers, garlic crostini, or make into lettuce wraps.