This tasty BLT Potato Salad is the best of both worlds. On a hectic afternoon, you could enjoy a bowlful as a meal. It features the best of potato salad and BLT fixings combining them into one satisfying dish.
BLT Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad is often associated with warm weather, but it’s a year-round side dish at our house. Whether you serve it warm or chilled, there are so many variations to enjoy, I just can’t limit it to summer. That said, we certainly eat our share of Southern Potato Salad in the warm summer months. Other potato salad variations that we love are my Roasted Rosemary Parmesan Italian Potato Salad delicious with steaks or Italian inspired meatloaf and Green Bean and Potato Salad that can be packed up and taken on picnics. Both are filled with farmstand flavors.
How to Make the BEST BLT Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad isn’t difficult to make and the seasonings, such as salt and pepper, can easily be adjusted to your personal taste.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade BLT Potato Salad: Baby potatoes, green onions, bacon, cherry tomatoes and green leaf lettuce.
- To make the dressing you’ll need: Mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, dill, granulated garlic, onion powder, garlic salt, celery salt and granulated sugar.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large bowl, skillet, medium size pot, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, sharp knife and cutting board and large spoon or silicone spatula for mixing everything together.
- This salad can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- For this recipe, I use those cute little baby potatoes. They are relatively uniform in size and can be sliced in half for the perfect single bite.
- It’s important to cook the potatoes in salted water just until fork tender. Don’t overcook or the potatoes will break down when tossed with the dressing and remaining ingredients.
- You could add 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the mix, if you like.
- The best lettuce to use for this recipe is a hearty lettuce that will hold up to dressing. I prefer green leaf or romaine lettuce.
- Speaking of lettuce, it should be added just before serving to prevent premature wilting. If you want to serve this salad at room temperature, let it cool on the counter before adding the lettuce.
Main Dish Recipes to Serve with Potato Salad
Potato salad tends to pair well with any entrée that goes well with potatoes in general, which leaves entree options wide open.
A few mentions from the MSSK recipe index:
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breasts are made on a pan in the oven.
- Roasted Chili Lime Pork Tenderloin is tender and cooks in no time flat.
- Nashville Hot Chicken Strips feature a homemade chili sauce that’s next level.
- Pulled Pork Barbecue is a North Carolina favorite!
- Smokehouse Bacon Cheeseburgers are always welcome on the dinner table.
- Crockpot Meatloaf from The Chunky Chef.
How Do You Store BLT Potato Salad
Once assembled, you can store this potato salad chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The lettuce may wilt once dressed, but you can toss with fresh each time, it’s served.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
BLT Potato Salad
- 3 lb baby potatoes sliced in half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh dill or 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2-3/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 6 medium green onions thinly sliced
- 1 lb bacon cooked and sliced or crumbled
- 4 cups chopped green leaf or romaine lettuce plus additional for serving, optional
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Season with 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-high and simmer for 8-10 minutes, just until fork tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, garlic, onion powder, garlic salt, pepper, dill and celery salt until fully combined.
- To the bowl add potatoes, bacon, tomatoes and green onions. Gently mix until evenly coated. (Reserve some bacon and green onion for garnishing)
- Chill for 4 hours. Add lettuce and mix thoroughly just before serving garnished with reserved bacon and green onion. (May serve warm, chilled or at room temperature, if desired)
- Chill leftovers in an airtight container. (Lettuce may wilt.)