Southern Style Chicken Salad – Chicken salad is a staple in my fridge year round. It’s usually nestled right beside the pimento cheese. It’s perfect for light meals and between meal snacking for my boys to hold them over until dinner is ready. My sons come home from school ravenous every day so it’s imperative that I have things ready for them to eat. I love chicken salad myself wrapped up in green leaf lettuce for a quick lunch. It’s perfect just for munching with crackers. Stuff it inside mini croissants for a brunch or tea time treat or piled high on a lettuce lined thick cut slice of whole grain bread. Ah, delicious!
I’m a loyal and frequent customer at our local Costco and almost never leave there without a rotisserie chicken or two in my basket. I either bring it home and cut it up for use in a dish later that day, or remove it from the bone, cool thoroughly , wrap it in freezer wrap and pop it into the freezer to have ready for pulling together a meal on a busy cooking day. Today. it became this luscious and creamy chicken salad. My Mom put eggs in both her tuna salad and chicken salad so I do the same for mine. You could of course, leave the eggs out if you prefer, but my taste is certainly to include the hard boiled eggs for the added texture and flavor. Thanks to a cooked rotisserie chicken, this chicken salad comes together in no time and keeps my family happy between meal time. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Southern Style Chicken Salad
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt more or less to your taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cup cooked chicken roughly chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 2 green onion. finely chopped.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients.
- Stir in the chicken, eggs, celery and green onion. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.
- Chill thoroughly. Serve with crackers, pita pockets, on fresh bread with lettuce as a sandwich