This scrumptious Southern Style Chicken Salad recipe makes for a tasty appetizer when served with crackers or crostini. It eats like a meal on a bed of lettuce for a quick salad supper or stuff it between thick cut artisan bread for a busy day lunch.
Easy Southern Style Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken salad is a staple in my fridge year round. It's usually found prominently placed in my fridge nestled right beside the pimento cheese. It's perfect for light meals and between meal snacking to hold my boys over until dinner is ready. There are many styles and variations to make and this chicken salad with eggs holds a special place on our quick meal menu. I'm a frequent customer at our local Costco and almost never leave there without a rotisserie chicken or two in my basket. I either bring it home and divide it for use in a dish later that day, or remove the chicken from the bone and pop it into the freezer to have ready for a meal on a hectic day. That's my go-to ingredient to prepare this easy chicken salad and if never lets me down.
How to Make the Best Southern Style Chicken Salad
Thanks to a shortcut using rotisserie chicken, this chicken salad comes together in no time and keeps my family happy between meal time. It doesn't get any better than that.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Southern Style Chicken Salad: Chopped rotisseries chicken, chipped hard boiled eggs, celery, diced green onion, sweet pickle relish, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder or granulated garlic, honey mustard and mayonnaise.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A mixing bowl, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a large spoon or silicone spatula to mix it all together.
- Can I bake my own chicken for this recipe? Cooked rotisserie chicken works like charm in this chicken salad and allows it to come together easily. That said, you could use homemade roast chicken, baked chicken or poached chicken. After the holidays, you could adapt this same recipe using leftover turkey.
- Can I use Miracle Whip in this recipe? I prefer real mayonnaise for this recipe, but if Miracle Whip is what you have on hand you could certainly use it.
- Do you put boiled eggs in Southern chicken salad? My Mom put chopped eggs in both her tuna salad and chicken salad so I in turn do the same for this recipe. You could of course, leave the eggs out if you prefer, but I highly recommend the taste that hard boiled eggs give to the texture and flavor overall.
- How to serve chicken salad: You can enjoy a lower carb version and wrap it up in green leaf lettuce for a quick lunch. It's terrific stuffed inside mini croissants for a holiday brunch or tea party, too. It's equally delicious when piled high on lettuce lined whole grain bread. You can also turn this recipe into sliders, the sky's the limit.
- You may also like to try my recipe for Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad.
More Southern Style Chicken Salad Recipes to Make
- This fruity Waldorf Chicken Salad can be served as a meal on a bed of lettuce.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Layer Salad is dressed with a homemade Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing. (Better than Chick fil A!)
- Chicken Pasta Salad can do double duty as a side dish or a light meal on a busy day.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad is packed with flavor!
- Curried Chicken Salad makes a delicious sandwich or appetizer served in tiny bite size filo cups.
- Skinny Chicken Salad Sliders from the Cookie Rookie.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Southern Style Chicken Salad
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less to your taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cup cooked chicken roughly chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 2 green onion finely chopped
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients.
- Stir in the chicken, eggs, celery and green onion. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed.
- Chill thoroughly for 3 hours or overnight. Serve with crackers, pita pockets, on fresh bread with lettuce as a sandwich